Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Happy 25th Anniversary To My Parents


My parents celebrated their 25th anniversary yesterday. Friends often remark about the great relationship my parents have with each other. Their love for each other is evident to all that see them together.Throughout the years I’ve often wondered what makes their marriage work and decided for a change to talk to my dad about it.


Mia: So tell me fajer what’s the secret to a good marriage?

Pop: I have no clue. All I know is that I lucked out.

Mia:What about not going to bed angry at each other and all that other stuff?

Pop: Oh please that's bull. There have been many times we’ve gone to bed pissed off at each other. There have been times when I haven’t been her favorite person in the world and she's broken my heart by refusing to even look at me but you get over stuff like that. The thing is this no matter how mad we may have gotten at each other there’s never been a time when I could see our lives without each other.If one of us was in the wrong we can admit it and apologize for it. Baby you don’t understand, your mother well she completes me. Until I met her I was half a person. The fact is i'm hopelessly in love with the woman.

Mia:Are you serious? You still feel like that after 25 years?

Pop: I’m going to feel like that until the day I die and beyond. To me it hasn’t been 25 years it seems like only yesterday I met her. Did you know I fell in love with her at first sight? She smiled at me and I swear my heart stopped for a second.

Mia: That’s so sweet.

Pop: I am so lucky she chose me and I’ve never forgotten that. She could have had anyone she wanted. Trust me there were a lot of guys after her but she saw something in me.

Mia: From what I heard I doubt you were going to let anyone else have her pa.

He started smiling looking towards the other room where she was talking with my aunt and my aunt was laughing at something my mom had said.

Pop: Tell me honestly who doesn’t fall in love with your mother when they meet her? Hell no I wasn’t going to let her slip away from me.

Mia: So there’s no secret pa?

Pop: No baby no secret, only love. The day I shanghaied her into marrying me the way she looked at me gave me goose bumps. I made myself a promise that for as long as we both lived she’d never look at me in any other way and she never has.

I told my mom about my conversation with my dad and what he’d said.Her eyes seemed to tear up for a minute and she looked away from me her voice was cracking…

Mom: Ay that man is an idiot. He thinks he’s the lucky one. All along I’ve been the lucky one because he chose me.


Hours later I walked in on them in the livingroom. The stero was on and their wedding song was playing, "You're My Everything" and they were kissing. It’s not easy to see your parents making out. It’s kind of hard to hold onto your dinner if you get my drift. I yelled out, “Hey people get a room there’s kids here!” to which my dad yells back, “and how the heck do you think you got here in the first place?!”….. Ewww that’s a picture I could’ve gone a lifetime without…..



Labels:





Posted by @ 2:23 AM
9 comment from: Blogger Ineke, Blogger Laila K, Blogger christina/ohio, Blogger Mica, Blogger Louise, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Mia, Blogger christina/ohio, Blogger Emory Mayne,