Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Vinegar is the MacGyver of sour stuff


Remember that show “MacGyver” where the guy could build a nuclear reactor with a hanger, some chewing gum and a piece of aluminum foil? I once saw a Ford LTD on 112th street between 5th and Lennox being held together with duct tape. I remember I was amazed as I checked out the duct taped bumper. There was not a spot on that car that did not have some duct tape. Even the upholstery was being held together by duct tape. I remember thinking duct tape was the MacGyver of tape.
Now it turns out that vinegar is the MacGyver of sour stuff. According to the Vinegar Institute I swear to Rainbow Brite I am not making this up, there really is a vinegar institute! So help me beejeezus if they have a chocolate cake institute I am so in there with a glass of milk. Anyway as I was saying the vinegar institute has a bunch of stuff that you can do with vinegar besides using it in a marinade and salad dressing. I was totally amazed by the stuff you can do with vinegar but then again I am easily impressed these days.

You can make your wool and cotton blankets soft and extra fluffy if you add 2 cups of distilled vinegar to the rinse cycle. They swear your blankets wont smell like pickled ass when you use them.

Kill weeds:Spray white distilled vinegar full strength on tops of weeds. Reapply on any new growth until plants have starved.

Paintbrush softener: Soak the paintbrush in hot white distilled vinegar, and then wash out with warm, sudsy water.

Hole removal: After a hem or seam is removed, there are often unsightly holes left in the fabric. These holes can be removed by placing a cloth, moistened with white distilled vinegar, under the fabric and ironing.

Soothe a bee or jellyfish sting: Douse with vinegar. It will soothe irritation and relieve itching.

Relieve sunburn: Lightly rub white distilled or cider vinegar on skin. Reapply as needed

Labels:





Posted by @ 1:30 AM
3 comment from: Blogger Emory Mayne, Blogger christina/ohio, Blogger Mia,