Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

April 23


April 23rd was a holiday in casa Mia, it was my mother’s 44th birthday.Mom got up at the crack of dawn beating everyone to the kitchen. The fact that my mom was making one of her big pancake breakfasts was a big deal for us all.

One morning two years ago on her birthday my mom was awakened by a migraine headache. My mom had suffered a stroke. Her speech and movement were affected. For my mother a left handed artist the stroke meant and end to her painting and drawing. Watching her struggle to speak brought tears to the eyes of all those who loved her. My father was the only one who seemed to understood her slurred speech. Still she managed to maintain her sense of humor and using my dad as a translator would make jokes about her stroke which no one but us would find funny.

Mom’s recovery has amazed her doctors. They had cautioned us against expecting too much. Obviously they did not know my mom. Her speech has returned back to normal although it has a tendency to slur when she is really tired. One of the first things she did when she regained movement in her hand was to flip my dad the bird. This is a signal they came up with when they were dating. My parents met at work and it was against company policy for the employees to date.For the longest time no one knew they were dating or that they'd gotten married. Whenever they would see each other at work in passing they would flip each other the finger. This was their way of saying, “I love you” to each other. Meanwhile their co-workers thought they were flipping each other the bird because they hated each other.

After 24 years of marriage they still use the signal. Yesterday as my mom made breakfast I watched my pops raise his coffee mug to his lips and gave my mom the finger. My mom then put down her spatula and gave him the double finger.

Happy Birthday mami words can never express what I feel for you or what you mean to me. This one's for you...

Labels:





Posted by @ 1:20 AM
8 comment from: Blogger Laila K, Blogger DannieS72, Blogger Aisha, Blogger Mr. Khurram, Blogger Fouad, Blogger Just Jane, Blogger Mia, Blogger nour,