Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Monday, April 17, 2006

A Rose For My Sister...




My world has always been like a soap bubble, coloful, resilient and full of beauty. I sit inside of its protective walls gliding along the sky, skipping clouds, skimming the tops of pink roses, flying so close to the heavens I feel as if I can touch rainbows with my fingertips.

Occasionally the ugliness of the world has attempted to penetrate my bubble only to be deflected away by my bubble's polymer-like shield. I look around me and wonder how is it that I have been so blessed when others have been cursed. There have been times in my life where people have claimed that I have a guardian angel watching over me, if so I owe an apology to the angel for making it work overtime. How is it possible that the angels have smiled on me from the day I was born while allowing my twin sister to slip away?

She was born first my father said she seemed to be waiting for me anxious for me to join her. Only when I emerged did she seem to relax. We were identical. When ever we were separated our heart monitors would reflect the stress of the separation. We reached for each other, staring at at each other intently oblivious to the world around us. We shared a crib because we cried when seperated. In our sleep we'd snuggle up to each other often sucking on each others fists. One morning without warning she was gone. For awhile it looked as if I would be leaving as well. The doctors prepared my parents for the fate that seemed to await me. I often think about her and wonder what she would've have been like.

A rose placed on our dining room table caught my eye. The rose bud had been accidentally ripped off of its stem by a little boy trying to pick a flower for his aunt. It was this rose that brought her to my mind. It was March 31st, it would've been our 23rd birthday had we not decided to make our debut in December. The rose lay on the table it's pink petals falling off around it. I reached for my camera determined to capture her beauty on film. As I photographed the rose I thought of my sister; would she have liked photography too? The rose presented here is for my twin sister Catherine Elizabeth a rose that never got to fully bloom...









Labels:





Posted by @ 1:24 PM
7 comment from: Blogger Mr. Khurram, Blogger christina/ohio, Blogger Just Jane, Blogger 2 Second Club ®, Blogger Mia, Blogger Emory Mayne, Blogger Mia,