Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Life Lessons


Have you ever noticed how many life lessons we’re taught in the course of an average day? The lessons often don’t come with any fanfare. They are imparted to us in the form of everyday things it’s on us to pick out the lesson and apply it to our lives. Here’s a few of the ones that I picked up on yesterday…


Make time for those who love you: Lately it seems that between studying for exams and researching/writing papers I’ve had very little time for socializing and spreading my special brand of cheer amongst my fellow New Yorkers. I’ve also been neglecting my peeps out in the BK and on this day a formal complaint has been lodged with my mother. So to my beloved Aunt Nora, Uncle Hassan, Mamaluka and Said habibi my apologies ana bahebek, you’re never far from my thoughts.

Never be afraid to take chances : While DVD shopping Reina tapped me on my shoulder. She said someone was staring at me. I looked up me and sure enough there was. This gorgeous Mohawk sporting Joaquin Phoenix look alike was staring at me. I smiled at him and turned my attention back to the DVD selection if front of me. Reina kept staring at him, “yo he looks just like the guy on that DVD!” I looked at the Walk The Line DVD in my hand and looked up at him. He was looking at me again,we smiled at each other, “yeah he does.” We continued shopping hopping aisle to aisle and I kept bumping into Mohawk dude who was also aisle hopping and shopping. I wouldn’t have even noticed except that Reina kept pointing him out to me so every time Mohawk dude and I’d come across each other in an aisle we’d both laugh. I was at the counter paying for my stuff when Mohawk dude walked over to pay for his stuff. We smiled at each other one last time, he gave me a little wave which I returned as I headed out the door. After a block or so Reina tells me, “dude he was hot I wanted to talk to him” wtf?!… “Why didn’t you say something back there?” “I was afraid.” was her reply.

Embrace life: If you were anywhere around midtown Manhattan yesterday say around 5 pm and happened to see a small chick amid the floral display in front of a flower shop singing “Suddenly Seymour” from “The Little Shop of Horrors” at the top of her lungs while her friend hid behind the Gerber Daises that was me. This message is for you. Despite what my friend may have implied I am not crazy. I was just having a spring moment. Life is beautiful sometimes just like that it embraces you and when that happens you gotta embrace it right back. The flower shop inspired me; it reminded me of a scene in Little Shop of Horrors. I dare you to have a “Little Shop of Horrors” flashback and not sing the soundtrack.

Labels:





Posted by @ 12:58 AM
3 comment from: Blogger Aisha, Blogger DannieS72, Blogger Mr. Khurram,