Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Friday, January 08, 2010

Monsters On The Plane


The plane had been in the air for less than twenty minutes when I was struck by the beauty of the clouds. Psycho Chick had taken her medication so she was relaxed and ultra mellow. The female next to us was one big bag of jumbled raw nerves.



I took a break from taking pictures and peered out at the wing a little smile crossing my lips.

“What are you looking at?” Psycho Chick asked.

“I’m looking for monsters. ” I replied.

“You’re weird.”

I shrugged my shoulders and laughed.

“And yet you seek me out, so what does that say about you?”

She reached into her purse and pulled out a bottle of pills and shook them at me

“I’m under psychiatric care.”

“Damn skippy you are.”

“Seriously what’s the deal with the monsters?”


“I watched a lot of Twilight Zone as a kid and whenever I’m a plane I always remember this episode where there’s a monster is on the wing of the plane.”

Psycho chick had never seen the episode I was talking about or the Twilight Zone movie in which they redid the Nightmare at 20,000 Feet episode. I went into great detail explaining the story and compared the TV version to the movie version.

“Man that sounds scary!” Psycho chick said when I was done.

“Hell yeah, especially in the movie version when he breaks off a piece of the wing!”

I hadn’t realized the female next to us was listening in on our convo until I heard a whimper. I winced and stage whispered, “Ah maybe now is so not the time to be discussing this.”

Psycho Chick turned around in her seat and stared at the frightened passenger and quickly turned back to me.

“You think I should offer her a Xanax?”

“Are you freaking nuts?! You can’t offer someone one of your pills that’s drug dealing!”

“I’m not going to charge for it I’ll give it to her for free!”

“No. She might have a bad reaction and freak the hell out on this plane. Keep your damn pill pushing ways to yourself . ”

Psycho Chick turned around a stared at the woman again who was now praying.

“She’s praying!”

“Really?”

I leaned out to look at the woman and sure enough she was praying. Her eyes were closed tightly and she was deep into an Our Father. Never one to interrupt a person’s special time with the head cheese I waited ‘til she was done and introduced myself to her.

For the next thirty minutes or so we talked and the woman was actually rather calm until we hit some turbulence. The woman let out a yelp and pulled a blanket over her head and began to pray again. Psycho Chick then leaned over me to look out the window.

“What are you doing?” I asked as she elbowed me in the boob.

“Looking for monsters.” She replied mischievously.

Our fellow passenger took a break from praying to mutter, “Monsters?”

I shook my head at my friend, “Don’t make me hurt you psycho chick.” I shot back.


Labels: ,





Posted by @ 12:24 PM
0 comment from: