Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Friday, October 30, 2009

Silly



Per their request the yeti and I were spending the day with his visiting thirteen year old sister and his seven year old niece. Maybe it’s because I’m naturally silly or perhaps it’s because I’m not much taller than they are for whatever the reason kids like me.
We decided to take them out to a movie and then for some serious book shopping at the local Barnes & Nobel because thanks to the Twilight craze his sister is starting to get into young adult novels. We were walking down the children’s aisle when little Hope decided she wanted to confide something in me.


“Mia,” she said crooking her finger so that I’d bend over to her level. Sadly I didn’t have too far to go.

“Yeah?” I replied taking in the serious look on her face. Whatever it was she wanted to talk about was obviously of great concern to her.

“Sometimes when I’m falling asleep the bed starts spinning and I feel like I’m going to fall down.” She said.

“Hmmm…bed spinning…no balance?” I asked. Her description reminded me of one too many times when I’d had a wee bit too much to drink.

She nodded her head and replied, “Yes.”

I peered into her eyes for a minute, took a deep sigh and stepped back. “Hope, how long have you been drinking?”

Her mouth dropped open then quickly snapped shut. “Mia!” she sputtered, “I don’t drink!” Laughing in that way that kids have that’s music to your ears. The clerk standing behind her also laughed but his laugh wasn’t so musical it was more like a snort.

“You sure? Because if you’re sneaking a nip here and there you can tell me.”

“Yes!” she replied in a sing song tone.

I gave her a skeptical look before winking at her and smiling. She launched herself at me and hugged me tightly. “You’re silly.” she mumbled into my hip.




Labels:





Posted by @ 8:38 AM
1 comment from: Anonymous Darla,