Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Monday, July 20, 2009

I'm Waving The White Flag


Ever had a song stuck in your head? Well that happens to me a lot sometimes with songs I’m not particularly fond of …that’s the worst.

A few years ago when I was working the night shift at a department store Journey’s Greatest Hits was getting heavy play on the store’s system. Thanks to hearing it at least 8 times a day for the entire summer I got sick of the song. Until recently I had managed to successfully avoid the song.

That changed this summer, the song has been stalking me in television commercials, lounges, and dance clubs. While in Atlanta recently I heard it played four times in the space of two days and that’s not counting hearing it twice in the airport. Once while waiting for my flight in Atlanta and once after I landed in New York.

I made the mistake of letting a few people know about my issue with the song. News travels fast. When I arrived in New York my yeti made sure to download it and torture me for an entire weekend with it. My friends being the sweethearts that they are began text messaging me snippets of the lyrics and when that got no response they posted the lyrics and video of the song on my face book. My sister not wanting to be left out kept blasting the new dance version of the song over and over again in her room. Luckily for her the bedroom door was locked or I would’ve throttled her.


A couple of weeks go by and my friends and yeti have finally grown tired of messing with me. The song is finally out of my head. I'm a happy female. I’m at a small lounge down south with some friends a couple of them born and bred southerners. “You know Mia if you yell Free Bird out in any bar here in the south they’ll blast the song.” One of my companions drawled in that cute southern accent of hers. “Seriously? I thought that only happened in movies.” They assured me that it was true and they all encouraged me to give it a try. In what I can only describe as a dumb brunette moment I yelled,“FREE BIRD!” over the hip hop song that was playing.

The DJ looked up over to where we were smiled and pointed a finger in our direction. Wanna guess what song quickly interrupted the song that was already playing? Give yourself a big ol’ pat on the back if you guessed “Don’t Stop Believing”. I didn’t get Free Bird people what I got was set up.

The song is once again stuck in my head. I’m throwing in the towel. I’m waving the white flag! I’ve decided not to fight it anymore and to just embrace it. Come on people sing along with me!
“Just a small town girl, livin' in a lonely world She took the midnight train goin' anywhereeeeeee….”




Labels: , ,





Posted by @ 8:48 AM
3 comment from: Anonymous Darla, Anonymous frum, Blogger Mia,