Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mother Mia Has Left the Building.


I’ve finally figured out one of my dearest friends is determined to drive me stark raving mad as a hatter crazy. Allow me to recap. She hooked up with a guy I wasn’t fond of at all and trust me I had good reason to be wary of him. After discussing my reasons for not liking the guy she chose him anyway. She called me the other day to tell me she was pregnant. I congratulated her and wished her luck. This seemed to shock her.


G: Aren’t you going to yell at me?

Mia: No. You know your situation you already have a 1 ½ year old and you’ve been dating this guy for a few months. You’re living at home in an over crowded apartment, with full time bills and a part time job. If you feel you’re in a position to have another kid who am I to dispute that?

G: His family is really happy, they’re all excited.

Mia: Of course they are this is his first child.

G: You don’t have to worry about me I’m going to be fine. Thanks to you and ma (she calls my mother ma) I’ve got a back bone now. I can stand up for myself. You taught me well. I learned a lot from you.

I hadn’t realized just how much like my mother I am. Whenever my mother is angry at someone and holding back she tends to become really, really polite. I’m talking about Miss Manners type of polite. Coldness creeps into her voice and she becomes all business. All traces of affection and her natural good humor are gone from her voice. Until that very moment I hadn’t realized I do the same exact thing.

Mia: I’m glad to have been of assistance in your endeavor to better yourself.

G: We’re getting our own apartment.

Mia: That’s wonderful. What about school?

G: I’m going to go back.

Mia: Okay

G: I guess it’s true, you don’t love me anymore. You don’t care about me at all.

That was a low blow.

Mia: Why do you say that?

G: Because the old Mia would have screamed and yelled at me and told me I was stupid and crazy for getting pregnant again. The old Mia would have yelled at me for not protecting myself. The old Mia would have thrown a shit fit.

Mother Mia has left the building. She’s given up her role as life coach to her friends. When they come to her now she smiles and says, “Do you, do whatever makes you happy.”

Mia: Is that what you want me to do or is that what you’re actually feeling and want me to be the voice of your conscience? Do you want me to project your fears and doubts back onto you?


G: I’m just saying it’s not like you to say nothing when you think I’m making a mistake.

Mia: Do you feel you’re making a mistake?

G: No

Mia: Alright then that’s all that matters. My opinion is irrelevant here.

G: Mia I care what you think. Tell me what you want to say. Yell at me, curse at me if you want I can take it.

Mia: I’m not mad at you. I’m done playing Mother Mia; we’re the same age you and I. I think you’re old enough to know what you want out of life. You don’t need me to guide you. Besides you’re going to do whatever it is you want to do anyway regardless of what I think. It’s your life. Just remember from here on whatever you do is going to affect you and two children.

G: Well I’m just saying you don’t have to worry about me and the baby. Thanks to you I’ve got a back bone now.


I’m sorry I’m a very blunt person there is only so much I can hold in before my head starts pounding.


Mia: You didn’t learn anything from me because if you’d been paying attention you would have known that I was trying to make you realize your potential. You’re an intelligent woman capable of standing on her own two feet and not be dependent on a man. What I tried to teach you was the value of you. I tried to teach you not to settle for the first guy that waved his penis at you. You don’t need a man to make you feel complete. I tried to teach you about the importance of an education and how it was important for your son’s future that you to return to school. Whatever man you take what you wish from what I tried to teach you.

G: Will you still be here for me and the new baby?


Mia: Always.


In one ear out the other. She got what she wanted; I kind of lost my temper. Maybe I should’ve thrown in some cuss words in there and really made her day.
I swear to God the female is trying to drive me nuts.







Labels:





Posted by @ 2:07 PM
4 comment from: Blogger christina/ohio, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Mia, Blogger Just Jane,