Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Pen Pals


As my friends well know I love playing jokes on them, and messing with their heads.
My boyfriend never knew this about me.

My sister Caitlin has been studying forensics at school. This week they’ve been working on serial killers and Caity was assigned a project on Ted Bundy. Because one of my degrees happens to be in forensic psychology she came to me for help. I explained to her the mind set of a serial killer and the different theories as to how they become the twisted individuals that they are. To prove my point I started looking up serial killers and showing her what they had in common for example, troubled childhoods. She was like a little sponge soaking it all up, writing everything I told her down.

When she finally left to her room I glanced at computer and noticed that the there was a pen pal link for the killer I had been reading about, that intrigued me. I clicked on the link and found a website dedicated to finding pen pals for inmates on death row. The site had pictures of the inmates along with a profile, “I’m fun, easy going…” one of them said. I googled the guys name and found that he was in prison for rape and murder. He’d been caught while attempting to burn his victim’s body. “Whoa yeah you’re real easy going.” I thought. Then I began to wonder what kind of woman would actually contact someone like this. I happened to be chatting with Jackie online and mentioned the site to her. Jackie having nothing to do asked me for the link and began looking over it instant messaging me names and I’d google it to find out the death row inmates crime.

When my bf arrived he found me sitting reading several inmates profiles and discussing their cases with Jackie and the joker in me took over.

-What are you doing?

--Reading some serial killer profiles with Jackie on this pen pal sit for inmates.

-Why?

--I’m looking for a pen pal.

His eyes bugged out, and he gasped. His voice even pitched an octave or two higher. I had only been joking but seeing his reaction I thought to myself, oh yeah man this was so on.

-Are you crazy?! Those people are dangerous!

--Na, they’re locked up. Besides they are lonely.

-Mia, are you serious?!

I opened up my email and began composing a letter.

Hi, my name is Mia!

I’m 25 years old and a student living in New York City. If you’re interested in being my pen pal hit me back at this email address. My photo is on my blog http://marialsuarez.blogspot.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Peace…Mia


My bf looked over my shoulder.

-Mia you’re NOT serious! Don’t you dare send that email!

I smiled as sweetly as I could at him and hit the ‘send’ button. Fortunately he never noticed I was actually emailing myself at another email address.

-Mia, noooo!

--What?

-Are you crazy?

I shrugged my shoulders and began composing another email.

-I can’t believe you would do this! They can stalk Mia. Aren’t you thinking?

--Psshaw. Dude, they’re on death row and I don’t mean the record label. They can’t do anything to me. Besides what kind of shrink would I be if I can’t show some empathy for an inmate? Besides you do know that I will be working with inmates in grad school right?

His face turned several shades of red; I’m pretty sure his blood pressure shot up as well. He began sputtering all types of nonsense. I was crazy, I never listened to him..yadda yadda blah blah. I finally had to leave my room in order to be able to laugh. When I returned several minutes later he was glowering at me. I walked past him and sat back down at my computer.

--Oh look I got a response (I lied) that was quick!

-Don’t answer it.

--I can’t just ignore it. That would be rude!

-Mia!

I composed another fake email and sent it off.

-God you’re so stubborn!

I started to laugh I couldn’t hold it back anymore.

-Why are you laughing? This is not funny Mia! You’re emailing convicted murderers!

--Are you mad at me Joshy washy Liberace?

-Mia

I shrugged my shoulders and laughed again, pointing to my screen.

--They’re not all guilty Josh. Look at this guy he swears he is innocent!

Josh glared at me.

I think I’ll clue him on the prank later on.


Labels:





Posted by @ 12:23 PM
4 comment from: Blogger Unknown, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Mia, Anonymous Anonymous,