Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Friday, September 26, 2008

Beyond Grateful



For the past several years I’ve been watching my fellow students and friends start their professional lives while I remain in school working towards mine. There have been times through out my academic career where I have been anxious and impatient wanting my life to start already. I want… I want… I want…that seems to be my mantra for the last four years. I want to start my career, I want to use what I’ve learned to help people, I want to pack up and move.


Even though I love the security of my nest I am ready to leave it I want to spread my wings and fly across the Atlantic. I feel restless. Maybe it’s my ancestral roots calling me back home to where the seeds of me were first germinated but I’ve felt my destiny lies over seas for the longest time. My bf one of the sweetest and kindest souls I’ve ever met wants as well but he has never had anyone push him towards his goals. From the minute I was born my mother dreamt for me and pushed. When I lacked the confidence in myself or was ready to settle for less than my dream she metaphorically smacked me across the head and pushed me harder refusing to let me give up. The woman had faith in me when I lacked it.

Yesterday I found myself reviewing my patient’s medical file and transferring the notes I’d made during our session into the file. As I looked over the file and saw the letters stamped after my name noting my therapist status I shuddered. I felt “grown up” as if my professional life had finally started. The feeling was indescribable, I felt such joy I had to call my mother when my shift was over and shared what I felt. I am beyond grateful to the female.


Labels: ,





Posted by @ 3:16 PM
0 comment from: