Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Three cheers for Mrs. Butterworth and Aunt Jemima



My friend Farris called me the other day from New Jersey. He’d just flown in from the UK for his sisters wedding and was catching a connecting flight to the mid-west. It was his first trip to the states and he had just seen the statue of liberty for the first time on his way to the airport. Even though he was really impressed by her something else had impressed him even more and he’d called me to share the experience. Let me tell you people the young man with the cockney accent was ecstatic.


-Mia I had pancakes!

--Dude pancakes?

-Yes! Oh my lord Mia they were delicious! You never told me about pancakes!

--Uh...Farris were these crack laced pancakes, why are you so hyper?

wait did he say he never had pancakes? What rock has this Brit been living under?

Then I remembered my Guyanese friend Nalini. She had been raised in the Bronx and had never tried food out side of her culture until she started coming over to my house. Her first reaction to pancakes had been just like Farris’s.

--You’ve never had a pancake?

-No! We went to a restaurant called iHop!

-- Congratulations. As far as restaurant pancakes are concerned iHop’s the sacred shrine for pancakes. I’m glad you enjoyed them so much. Sampled a few of the different syrups did you?

-Yeah!

I laughed at the enthusiasm in his response the boy was obviously riding a sugar high. He was convinced that pancakes were manna from the Gods. Honestly who can blame him? There are days when the aroma of buttermilk pancakes wafting from my kitchen makes me feel the same way.

Three cheers for Mrs. Butterworth and Aunt Jemima two very lovely ladies indeed.





Labels:





Posted by @ 11:19 AM
7 comment from: Blogger Mia, Blogger christina/ohio, Blogger Goggles Piasano Ritardo, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Unknown, Blogger Goggles Piasano Ritardo, Blogger Mia,