Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

I’m still not over the whole Teddy Ruxpin thing…


I’m starting to think that every generation toy manufacturers are hell bent on giving kids nightmares and scarring them for life. I guess it’s a survival of the fittest thing. The toys are prepping you for the adult world. When I was a kid “Teddy Ruxpin” was fodder for my nightmares. It’s a miracle I’m not in therapy right now thanks to that bear.

I was watching a kids channel with my 9 yr old cousin the other night when I was totally mesmerized by a commercial for talking Barbie. The thing that had me so flustered was that unlike the talking Barbie of 1968 that had a pull string on its back the new talking Barbie actually moved it’s mouth! Hark the Herald! WTF was that? I thought to myself. I felt a chill go up my spine. I couldn’t make myself look away… I wanted to cover my eyes…it was just like the Teddy Ruxpin episode when I was a kid. I wanted to run and hide. I couldn’t stop saying, “Oh my friggin’ gawd!” even after the commercial was over. My cousin then informed me that Barbie also has a dog that poops and a cat that urinates. WTF?! What has happened to my beloved Barbie?

When I was a kid I had my share of gross toys, but Barbie? Oh hellllll no Barbie never ever crossed that line. Even as a veterinarian she never cleaned up dog poop! I’m sure she had one of those no frills discount store fake Barbie doll assistants do that for her. We called them crack head Barbies when I was growing up. After my cousin told me about the pooping dog and the urinating cat Barbie of course I had to go to youtube and look them up. It turns out that it was Teresa, Barbie’s home girl that owned the peeing cat. Teresa’s cat looked like it was on steroids…that’s one huge ass cat. As a kid I had a lot of Teresa dolls as well because Teresa looked ethnic and my mom felt it important that I have a doll that “looked” like me. I can’t front the first time I saw a Teresa doll I was in shock, ay dios mio a doll that looks Latina! I was in heaven. My Teresa doll used to talk to Barbie in Spanish all the time. Many a time Barbie, Teresa and the rest of the crew sat down to a meal of arroz con pollo, and red beans in Barbie’s kitchen.


After watching the pooping dog and the peeing cat commercials I realized that as a kid I probably would have wanted the damn dolls. Not the talking one though because that heffa looks like it’s possessed. I’m still not over the whole Teddy Ruxpin thing…




Talking Barbie…




Barbie and her pooping dog…




Teresa and her peeing cat…

Labels: , ,





Posted by @ 10:44 AM
6 comment from: Blogger christina/ohio, Blogger Mia, Blogger Louise, Blogger DannieS72, Blogger Goggles Piasano Ritardo, Blogger Mia,