Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Peace One Man at a Time


You know that cool house the one where all the neighborhood kids love to hang out in? That’s my house. It’s always been that way for as long as I can remember. On any given evening my house looks like The United Nations with 7 or more kids from different ethnic backgrounds taking over the living room for a couple of hours.

It was the day before Thanksgiving and the TV repair man had come over to fix the living room TV which had been moved to the dining room to make it easier for the repair guy. Mom set him up with a cup of coffee, a plate full of cheese and crackers and left him to his work. Several minutes later she came back into the dining room carrying 15 lbs of potatoes that needed to be peeled for my father’s Thanksgiving potato salad. Immediately a couple of kids came over to my mom and asked if she needed help. Despite mom declining their offer they returned with knives and began peeling potatoes.

The TV repair man looked at all the kids surrounding my mom, he took notice of their different ethnicity, and skin colors especially in comparison to my fair skinned mom. The guy waited a minute and his curiosity obviously piqued by the fact that the kids called mom “Ma” asked her, “You’re husband is Puerto Rican right?” “Yeah he is why do you ask?” “These kids they all look so different. They can’t all be from the same man.” Mom took a deep sigh and put down her knife…” Well you know how everyone talks about wanting world peace? I’m actually doing something about it. I’m trying to bring peace into this world one man at a time.” She pointed to the kids, “I’ve already got the Caribbean, Africa, Europe, the Middle East and Asia covered. Next month I’m working on South America.”

Labels: ,





Posted by @ 9:17 PM
7 comment from: Blogger DannieS72, Blogger christina/ohio, Blogger Nooni, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky, Blogger Mia, Anonymous Anonymous,