Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I almost wished I had been Indian


I’ve been having my eyebrows threaded in this place for months now and decided to try out the manicure services. I sat down and as the manicurist took my hand in hers she gave me a warm smile then started speaking in Hindi to me. Well a t least I think it was Hindi it could’ve been Urdu as well, either way I didn’t understand the language.

When I didn’t respond to what she was saying twice she looked at me with a puzzled look on her face and asked if I was Indian. I told her I was Puerto Rican and her face seemed to cloud over as if she didn’t believe me. I assured her again that I indeed was Puerto Rican and she smiled again at me but her smile wasn’t as warm as before when she thought I was Indian. The door closed the moment had passed. I was no longer being invited to share her world. I guess I disappointed her. Just for that moment I almost wished I had been Indian.

Labels:





Posted by @ 2:18 AM
12 comment from: Blogger Laila K, Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky, Blogger Goggles Piasano Ritardo, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger The Krispy Dixie, Blogger The Krispy Dixie, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Mia, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Just Jane, Blogger Emory Mayne, Blogger Mia,