Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Cup of Sleep...


I’ve been up to my eyeballs in term papers, projects, studying and it's affecting my sleep. I've been getting very little of it and having the oddest dreams. I decided to take a day off since my latest paper “Battered Women Syndrome as a Legal Defense” was 90 percent complete all I had to do was write my conclusion. I decided to head out into the world! I had tickets for a VH1 show taping “World Series of Trivia”, it’s airing sometime during the summer. It was the first time in like a month that I was doing something not related to school.

Maybe it was the after effect of the fresh air, or too much sugar in my system but when I got home that night and took a look at my almost completed paper, the paper I’d been working on for a week I hated it. I was not feeling the damn thing at all. I decided to rewrite the paper from another angle I figured at most it would take me an hour after all I had all the research material on my laptop. I’d probably need some additional research I looked at the clock it was 10:30 I was confident I could do this; it definitely was the sugar talking. By the way the paper was due the next day.

Whenever I’m pulling a late night despite my protests my mom stays up to keep me company. I have to admit looking over my laptop and seeing her there makes me feel a lot better. She has this thing about not being able to sleep in her bed unless she knows we are all asleep in our rooms. Even when I go out it doesn’t matter how late I come home my mom will wait up. Whenever I spend the night at Reina’s or Aunt Nora’s I’ll call my mom when I am ready to go to bed so she can rest easier. Even though my dad says she tosses and turns all night when one of us spends the night away from home.

It was almost 4 am and my paper was almost done. Ma was headed to the kitchen and asked if I wanted anything, feeling thirsty I intended to ask for water at least that’s the thought that formed in my head “yea ma can you bring me a cup of sleep please?” She turned around looked at me and started laughing. I didn’t understand why she was laughing. I hadn’t realized I asked for a cup of sleep. It was decided right then and there I needed a couple of hour’s worth of sleep. I got up a few hours later finished the paper just before I had to head out to school. While proof reading it I came across a statistic that I typed in as I was dozing off … “a woman gets battered every 12 seconds, beat them once a week.” When I read it I burst out into laughter, five minutes after correcting it I was still laughing. I honestly do not know what the “beat them once a week” was about but it still cracks me up every time I think about it.

Labels: , ,





Posted by @ 10:49 AM
3 comment from: Blogger Laila K, Blogger Emory Mayne, Blogger Mia,