Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Brooklyn or Bust!


When it comes to school everything in my life takes a back seat. Most of the people in my life understand this. This semester has left me little time for anything and as a result I’ve been neglecting my family out in Brooklyn. Every time I make plans to spend the day in Brooklyn something comes up with school and I have to cancel. Aunt Malak arrived from Egypt over a month ago and I had yet to visit her. I know bad Mia, bad, bad Mia. Mamaluka (Aunt Malak) has always been very supportive of whatever I do. In her eyes I can do no wrong, it’s like having my own personal cheer leader.

I was on my way to Brooklyn yesterday, Reina by my side. We had a presentation due on Monday. My part of the presentation is entitled Group Decision Making versus Individual (yawn). The professor broke us up into groups of three; our group consisted of Reina, Allison and I. Reina appointed herself the leader she has that strong take charge type of personality; very dominant which is why she and I have been butting heads a lot lately. I’ll have to do a separate post on that another day.

This project has been cursed from day one; Allison recently moved out to Pennsylvania and has been making the 2 hour commute to John Jay twice a week, so hooking up with her to work on this project after school has been problematic. Reina on the heels of being dumped by the married guy has been on dictator mode so working with her has not been easy. We’ve been working on this for several weeks and I had thought we’d have it wrapped up by Friday allowing me to spend time with my BF on Friday and Saturday, with Sunday set aside for Brooklyn.

However fate conspired against me. My group mates had not completed their part of the project and without their finished product I couldn’t do my part of the presentation or the slides or print out the hand out sheets. Man I was screwed. I didn’t want to cancel on Brooklyn yet again. As luck would have it Allison was coming down for the weekend to work on our project and would be staying in Brooklyn. I spoke with Auntie Nora and was told to bring everyone over to “my apartment” in the basement. After some grief from my BF about not being able to see him during the weekend and having to get tough with Reina about meeting up with us to finish the project, I was set. Brooklyn or Bust!

It took us about 4 hours of non stop work to get the power point aspect of the project finished after that Allison had to leave and the evening was mine. Just as I finished Uncle Hassan’s brother Mahmoud got home from work; I don’t call him uncle he’s more like my cool older cousin and from then on I was on chill mode. The rest of the evening was filled with lots of laughter, good food, and fun. When the time came for me to go home mamaluka smothered me with hugs and kisses and blessing upon blessing. As I stepped out the door I heard her giving me a final blessing and turned around to look at her and it hit me right then and there I ‘m a very lucky person to have been blessed with so much love in my life. I’m glad I went to Brooklyn.

Labels:





Posted by @ 6:28 PM
2 comment from: Blogger Mr. Khurram, Blogger Aisha,