Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

In The Name of Religion


This is The Cathedral of St. John The Divine on Manhattan's upper west side. I was born across the street from here and grew up a few blocks away. For some reason this is the one place on earth that calms me,and soothes me. All my life I've had a love affair with this place.

This post is about religion so if you’re easily offended please leave. I was talking with a group of friends today a couple of Jews, Muslims, Catholics, and Pentecostal sisters. I know this sounds like a set up for a joke but it’s not. Anyway we were actually discussing a video we’d just seen online that had all of us cracking up. The video involved Jesus Christ. Just then the discussion of the controversial Danish cartoon and the Prophet Mohammed came up. Things got a little bit heated. One of my Catholic friends spoke about how when it comes to religion everyone but the Muslims seem to have a sense of humor. My Muslim sisters got heated over this and they were arguing back and forth with the Catholics. The discussion finally ended when my friend pointed at the video we’d just seen and asked my Muslim friend ,”Suppose the main character in that video had been Mohammed and not Jesus Christ would you have laughed ?” My Muslim friend got offended at the thought of Mohammed being the subject of a parody video and for the other chicks in the room it seemed to prove their point. I understood where she was coming from but also tried to make her see the point the other girls were trying to make.

Much to her credit she lightened up when I told her, “look no disrespect meant but Jesus Christ was not worth any less than Mohammed. They were both prophets, both great men who continue to influence the world to this day. Humans were given a sense of humor by God much the same way she gave us everything else. Somehow I think Jesus and Mohammed would be very disappointed to see the way we humans tear at each other in the name of God, in the name of religion. I think they were like Rodney King and would have said, “Can’t we all just get along?” They all listened to what I had to say and agreed with more or less what I was saying.

Personally I don’t do the whole organized religion thing, however because I was raised by both Muslims and Catholics I observe certain aspects of both religions. I don’t eat pork (well actually I don’t eat meat anymore but when I did pork was a no no). I observe the Muslim holy days, do my fasting and I pray every day. It may not be the way a Muslim or a Christian prays but it comes from my heart and is offered with humility, gratitude, and above all love.

The Catholic side of me celebrates Christmas, Lent, and Easter. I greatly admire the teachings of Jesus Christ, and who he appeared to be as a man. Do I personally believe he was the Son of God? No, not the way I am the daughter of William. I believe he was the son of God much in the same way we are all God’s children. In my home we have both the bible and the Quran. I have been taught to find my solace within their words. My mother has raised us all to follow our own path to spiritual enlightment and fulfillment just as she found her own.

I consider myself a spiritual person yet refuse to set foot in a Mosque or Church. The Cathederal of St. John The Divine is different, that is a work of art. I don’t think the creator really gives a flying fig where I choose to worship or how I do it, or even if I do it. I think the creator is more concerned with the fact that I am treating my fellow brothers and sisters no matter where they be from or who they worship with the same love and respect that I’d want for myself. Somehow I think that killing each other and fighting with each other in his name is not honorable. I think that no matter what you call the creator or what you believe in it was never the creator’s desire for her children to carry her name in their mouths or to use her as an excuse when attacking each other,whether it be physically or verbally. No parent ever wants to see thier children harm each other.

This is the video that sparked the discussion… and yeah I found it funny but somehow I think God understands after all she gave me this twisted sense of humor…

Labels:





Posted by @ 12:40 AM
5 comment from: Blogger 2 Second Club ®, Blogger Mica, Blogger Mia, Blogger Mr. Khurram, Blogger Mia,