Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Friday, December 26, 2008

Where's The Toilet?



The sun and I were still asleep when my phone rang.

“Mmmhello ?” I croaked into the phone.


“I forgot how sexy your voice sounds first thing in the morning.”

“I don’t take obscene phone calls this early. Please hang up and leave your heavy breathing at the sound of the beep.”

The caller laughed a deep rumbling laugh. I’d know that laugh anywhere besides only one person I know of would dare call me so early... I smiled and snuggled deeper into my pillows. This was an international call I wouldn’t be long on the phone with my friend so there was no need to open my eyes.

"Lá breithe shona duit m'aingeal”

“Que? (what)” I asked.

"Lá breithe shona duit m'aingeal."he repeated as if saying it again would enable me to understand.

“Gesundheit. That sounds serious you may want to take some medicine for that. ”

“It means happy birthday my angel in gaelic.”

“ Ohhh, gracias...that’s thank you in Spanish.”

“Did I wake you?”

“Yes."

“Good, I wanted to be the first to wish you happy birthday.”

“Mission accomplished. Merry Christmas, did Santa bring you everything you wanted this year?”

“No.”

“No?”

“No, a certain woman is still in New York and not here with me.”

“I hope Santa leaves her a lump of coal in her stocking.”

“Have you checked your Christmas stocking for any coal my love?”

“Ha-Ha, you are so funny.” I said with a dash of sarcasm.

“I’m going to let you get back to sleep now. I’ll talk to you tonight after your birthday party and you can tell me what Santa and the birthday elf left for you.”

“Okay”

“Hey”

“Yes?”

“Gráím thú…I love you”

“Cá bfhuil an leithreas ”

He laughed so loud I had to hold the phone away from my ear.

“Where’s the toilet?”

“It’s the only Gaelic I know.” I replied.






Labels:





Posted by @ 1:28 AM
2 comment from: Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Mia,