Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Best Part of Waking Up


Sometimes the best part of waking up isn’t the Folgers’s in your cup. Sometimes it’s your hard of hearing neighbor. It was early morning when I zombie walked my way into the dining room in search of coffee.

I was startled by the tiny elderly lady sitting at our table. I’m sure I’d startled her too but she was too polite to mention my appearance, my mother was not. I’d fallen asleep the night before while my hair was still damp from the shower. Nilda’s eyes swept over the origami like sculpture my ‘fro of curls had formed while I slept. My mother looked up and winced, “Jesus Mia run a brush or a pitch fork through that thing. You look like an escaped mental patient.” She said. “Good morning Mia!” Nilda chirped. No one should be that cheerful that early in the early morning. I mumbled my greetings at Nilda, flipped my mom the bird and headed straight for the carafe of coffee on the table.

The television was on to the local morning news so I decided to join the ladies at the table while I drank my coffee and waited for the weather report. I didn’t have long to wait. Mike Woods, the weather guy was half way through the forecast when Nilda let out a gasp.

“Ay Dios mio did you hear that? What a racist thing to say! ” Nilda was incensed. “How could that Moreno (black man) say something like that?!”

“Huh?” I mumbled, I wasn’t fully awake yet.

“Didn't you hear what he said?” she asked.

“Huh?” I repeated for those who’d failed to hear me the first time. I had no idea what she was talking about…I wasn’t alone neither did my mother.

“Nilda, what are you talking about?” mom asked.

“That Moreno he said to watch out for the black guys! That’s not a nice thing to say.”

“Huh?” yeah it was me again.

"Oh!” my mother said before she started giggling, “Nilda, he didn’t say watch out for the black guys…he said watch out for the BLACK ICE, the roads are slippery!”

I nearly choked on my coffee. I was awake now.




Labels: , ,





Posted by @ 9:14 AM
0 comment from: