Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

How do you keep an idiot in suspense?


They say that all good things must come to an end thus my crank calling Reina has ended. We were sitting in class talking taking a mini break while the professor got his notes together and someone brought up the subject of phone solicitors.

Reina: Yeah man those freaking people are mad annoying and shit.

Mia: I know, but they’re just trying to earn a living.

Reina: You know someone cranked call me yesterday?

a small chuckle escaped my lips and I covered the side of my face with my hand pretending to be way into the flower I was drawing in my notebook. She looked at what I was doing and when our eyes met I burst out laughing and then tried to cover it up by fake coughing.

Reina: You alright?

Mia: (cough , cough) Yeah (cough, cough )

By this time I had the only kool aid smile on my face and was stifling my laughter by covering my mouth with my hand….( God please help me … let me not crack up right here…. ) She looked at me again….I faked coughed again….We didn’t say a word to each other and I resumed my doodling. After about a minute of complete silence I felt the laughter creeping back up. I just had to say something, I repeated something she had said during the crank calls...

Mia: Listen buddy I’m at work right now!!

She stared at me for several seconds, she looked confused. Then all of a sudden it was if someone had tripped the “on” switch in her brain. She finally got it!

Reina: YOU IDIOT!!!

Mia: (giggling like a madman) How stupid are you? I said Napoleon Dynamite!

Reina: I thought it was a retard. I thought it was a retarded person that’s why I didn’t say nothing!


Mia: Okay so let me get this straight; retarded people call you at work, home and leave messages on your cell phone? Exactly how many retarded people do you know Reina?

I waited for her to zing me with the zinger I had just placed in her lap…nada

Reina: I don’t know!

Mia: Well I just know one.

Reina: Who?

Mia: Never mind

By now I had tears in my eyes from holding it in

Mia: Reina when we spoke I kept asking you to see if Napoleon Dynamite was on. You didn’t get the clue?

Reina: No. Hey who do you know that’s retarded?

Mia: A neighbor. Listen Reina how do you keep an idiot in suspense?

she thought about it for a few seconds

Reina: I don’t know, how do you keep an idiot in suspense?

Mia: I’ll tell you later.

the guy next to us got the joke and started cracking up alas my beloved Reina was lost

Reina: Huh?

just then the professor said he was ready to start the class

Reina: (whispering) I don’t get it. How do you keep an idiot in suspense?

Mia: (whispering) shhhhhh.. I’ll tell you later.


For the rest of the period every time she’d ask me I kept telling her I’d tell her later. She finally gave up. I still haven’t explained it to her.

Labels:





Posted by @ 4:09 PM
4 comment from: Blogger Aisha, Blogger nasser, Blogger christina/ohio, Blogger Mia,