Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Peace Symbol


The peace symbol turned 50 years old earlier this month. According to a BBC News article on the peace symbol “It started life as the emblem of the British anti-nuclear movement but it has become an international sign for peace, and arguably the most widely used protest symbol in the world.”

And because my mother’s greatest influences while growing up in the 60’s were a group of student activists and hippies this symbol decorated everything I owned from clothing to toys. I swear to jelly beans I thought it was my own personal logo for the longest. Not too long ago I purchased a peace sign pendant, old habits and influences die hard my friends.

Not only was the peace symbol the focal point of my crib mobile but family legend has it that this song was sung to me every night by my grandma as a lullaby. I was listening to it as I wrote this and realized that the message of "Get Together" is still as relevant today as the day The Young Bloods first sang it in 1967. Come to think of it the message behind the peace symbol is still just as relevant as well.





Labels: ,





Posted by @ 12:22 AM
3 comment from: Blogger don_veto, Blogger Mia, Blogger Mia,