Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

I fall in love with you all over again



Someone recently asked my mom what the secret to a happy marriage was “Honestly I have no friggin' clue.” She responded. None of their friends or family had expected them to last a full year. I can understand the why of people thinking that they would never last. I have never met two people so totally wrong for each other on paper.Everything about them screams incompatible. Trust me e.harmony and Match.com would never hook these two up together in a million years. Yet it works for them and my siblings and are a grateful that it does. Last week I caught a little glimpse of them not as my parents but as two people honestly in love with each other...

Thursday 7:00 pm :

We were about to sit down to dinner. Mom had just placed a pitcher of iced tea on the table and called the kids to dinner. My dad stood by his chair at the head of the table just staring at her. The look on his face was amazing. His green eyes were all sparkly and the look in them was one of total adoration. She just happened to look up and catch him. She stared back at him for a few seconds and he smiled at her. Ma quickly brushed one of her curls away from her face smiled back at him shyly then looked away and then just as quick looked back at him and smiled again. He continued to stare at her and then something incredible happened, my mom actually started blushing. He didn’t say a word he just kept staring at her until they both started laughing. As he pulled out his chair to sit he never took his eyes off of her. When she sat down next to him he took her hand and tenderly kissed it and when she turned his hand over and kissed his palm he started blushing. All of this took place in the space of two minutes and they never exchanged a word. They didn't even notice me staring at them.

Friday 3:45 am:

I was just getting in and stopped by my parent’s bedroom to let them know I was home. My dad was getting ready to leave to work. Just as I was about to enter their room I saw my dad lean down and kiss my sleeping mom on the top of her head. She opened her eyes and gave him a drowsy smile and said, "Hi." He stared at her for a full second grabbed at his heart dramatically and playfully staggered back a bit, and then said “Woman every morning you look at me with those eyes and every morning I fall in love with you all over again.”

After witnessing those incidents I've come to the conclusion that the secret to their marriage is that despite 26 years of marriage they have never stopped thinking of each other as the 18 year old girl and the 19 year old boy who fell in love at first sight 27 years ago.

I hope with all sincerity that you and I get to experience a love like theirs…

Labels:





Posted by @ 2:37 PM
6 comment from: Blogger christina/ohio, Blogger Mia, Blogger DannieS72, Blogger Mia, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Mia,