Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Friday, December 01, 2006

World AIDS Day


Today is World AIDS Day …

One autumn in what seems a lifetime ago I met Eric. Like me Eric was an 18 year old college freshman. He was funny, sensitive and just an all around great guy. We were both full of dreams; determined to leave our mark on the world. During mid-spring he started complaining that he wasn’t feeling well and finally went in for a check-up. The news he received changed his life forever. He'd lost his virginity in his early teens. Like too many kids he thought he was invincible, and didn’t give his unprotected actions a second thought. At the time his focus was on “getting’ some” not protection. Yet is was still a shock when the doctor told him he was HIV positive. Stuff like that is not supposed to happen to teenagers, especially during their first time. Stuff like that happens in bad late night movies.

I lost my friend the day he got his diagnosis. On that day he died and an angry bitter man was born. I hung around as long as I could; as long as he allowed me to. Then one day he said good-bye and ended our friendship just like that. I sometimes think that the promise of what lay ahead for me angered him or hurt him so much he couldn’t stand to have me in his life anymore. He couldn’t accept my friendship. Years have gone by and I often think of him. I wonder how he is doing or if he is still even with us. The hardest part of his HIV diagnosis was leaving my friend, having to say good-bye because he didn’t have faith that I would’ve remained by his side holding his hand through it all.
Learn more:World AIDS Day

Labels: ,





Posted by @ 2:04 AM
3 comment from: Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger DannieS72, Anonymous Anonymous,