Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Good Morning Sunshine!


There are two things that guarantee me waking up with a smile on my face in the morning. (1) Sunlight streaming in through my window. (2) The song of birds chirp, chirp, chirping away outside my window.

I am facinated by the beauty of birds however I don’t own any because I believe it is cruel to cage them. I'd imagine they treasure their freedom and much as I treasure mine. I do love to watch them fly. The way they dip and soar and glide is a thing of beauty...I envy that the feel of the wind beneath their wings. The closest I come to it is holding my face towards the wind on a windy day, feeling the wind rushing along the contours of my face. The area that I live in is a bird watchers paradise. All types of birds fly by my window sometimes they fly so close I can look into their eyes almost reach out and touch them. Sometimes they even fly into my house for a visit…you can read about it here

This morning was one of those “wake up with a smile” days. There were about 5 medium sized birds outside of my window having a deep convo. I think they were new to the neighborhood, well at least to my window sill. They appeared to be Robins, the bringers of spring.

The sound they made was high pitched, which for some reason reminded me of an old television set being turned on. When I was little my great-grandfather had a floor model TV that when clicked on made a high pitched "squeal". Then a white dot would appear in the center of the screen for a brief second before the screen would be filled with the image of whatever was on TV at the moment. I reached for my camera to get a shot of the Robins but couldn’t get to it without disturbing them. So I sat on my bed content to contemplate them. I think they were discussing the quickest route to Central Park because just when they appeared to be in agreement they all took off at the same time flying towards Manhattan.


Then my attention was caught by the glint of sun bouncing off of a cobalt blue decanter on my window sill. I have a thing about colors; my life is filled with splashes of vibrant colors here and there. I often place colorful glass items on the inside of my window sill simply because I love waking up to the morning sunlight filtering through them. I reached for my camera to get a shot of the bottle and as I was done snapping the photo I saw a bird flying towards me. I think he was about to fly in through my window when he saw me standing there and put his air brakes on, veering himself up. When I retrieved the photo from my camera I saw he was in the shot. (Check it out, right hand side of photo right over the bottle). Just then my mom came into my room to clean off my window because some repairs were going to be made to my windowsill. As she held the cups and some lollipops in her hand I snapped a photo of it. The sunlight filtering through the contents of what she held was simply beautiful. It's moments like these that make me appreciate life, the gift of sight, the sun, birds, our creator in general. Today was a "good morning sunshine" day. It started out perfectly.

Labels:





Posted by @ 1:11 AM
3 comment from: Blogger Mr. Khurram, Blogger Goggles Piasano Ritardo, Blogger Mia,