Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Parents Behaving Badly



My parents are complete polar opposites. I can’t think of one thing that they have in common other than their love for each other and their children. When they first got married no one including their own families thought it would last. My mom is the laid back, impulsive, artistic type. She has this amazingly mellow personality punctuated by the occasional hysterical wise ass remark. She’s always smiling refusing to get worked up over anything. My dad is a driven, hard working straight as an arrow type of person. My dad likes to take his time making decisions thinking everything out thoroughly. Prior to meeting my mother the most impulsive thing he’d ever done was putting on a clip on tie as opposed to the regular kind.

That all changed when he met my mom. According to him he fell in love with her at first sight. Back then my dad was a police officer and all the women he had dated had been several years older than him and had the same type of personality as him. My mom was younger, free spirited,independent, and a punk rocker college student. In short the complete opposite of him. Yet when he first laid eyes on her he knew he was going to marry her. It took him 2 months to convince my mom to go out on a date with him and by the end of that date he had proposed to her. The thing is that this intermeshing of opposite’s works for them. They’ve been married for 25 years and anyone who sees them can tell that the magic is still there for them. It’s a beautiful thing to watch the way they interact with each other bouncing jokes and teasing each other.

Last week they were cleaning some closets out and some dust fell in my mom’s eye and in trying to rub the dust out she poked her self in the eye with her nail. My mom is very faired skin the more she rubbed the surrounding area of her eye the redder it got. She wound up busting some veins around her eye with all the rubbing giving the area underneath her eye a slightly bruised look. The next day my dad asked her and my bro to run some errands with him. They went into this cash checking place to buy some metro cards and as they stood on line one of the clerks approached my mom. They chatted for a few seconds and then the lady left to take her place behind the window. When the lady walked away my mom made mention of the fact that she kept staring at the eye and my dad told her, “Babe it is kind of bruised and swollen she probably thinks I hit you” with that my mom started laughing, “Oh man William now she thinks you’re a wife beater”…. Just then it was their turn at the window and as the lady was waiting on them as my dad raised him arm to put it around my mother. My mother flinched on purpose and covered her face, giving the impression that she was trying to shield herself from my father’s blow. The look of shock on the lady's face was priceless! Mom looked at the lady and winked saying to dad, “Hon it was too good to pass up.” My dad had no choice but to step back and double over in laughter. As my parents howled with laughter my brother stepped away from them acting like he didn’t even know him. When he came home he said to me, “Mia you’re parents don’t know how to act when they’re in public.” I just love the fact that now they're my parents. Maybe one day i'll tell him the story of when I was 9 yrs old they chased each other up and down the street throwing water balloons at each other in front of my school. Parents and teachers took pictures, my mom was President of the PTA back then. Yup my parents.

Labels:





Posted by @ 12:50 PM
2 comment from: Blogger Theresa, Blogger Mia,