Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Life's Blessings...



I’ve decided that today is one of those days when I must count my blessings, thank the “head cheese” and revel in my karma. Come with me on this people, let us count our blessings together. Life is beautiful people, life is beautiful. Here we are in the 2nd month of 2006, and so far I’ve kept all of my new year’s resolutions including not becoming a crack head or killing my heffas. I’ve been blessed with many things in life, a great family, good health, nice teeth and the gift of comic relief in my friendships, my computer and job offerings. Here’s my list for today…



Reina: is still dating the guy with the live-in girl. She finally admitted to lying to me about his alleged break up with the girl after I gave her my “I don’t care” speech. I am now more convinced than ever that the live- in girl friend is his wife. I’m not saying a damn thing because somehow I don’t think it would matter. For some odd reason he seems to want my approval towards this relationship. I don’t know why because when I was introduced to him I gave him a big “whatever dude” along with the evil eye before hopping onto the subway. I was anything but nice.

Angela: is still undecided if she is going back to her loser boyfriend. Frankly she is starting to scare me. I get the feeling if a guy ever wanted to leave his chick he’d need a restraining order. We were talking about school the other day and out of no where she hits me with, “You know it just occurred to me that when I was born Nelson (loser bf) wasn’t even conceived yet!” My reaction was “WTF?!!” I didn’t see that coming.




My Computer: Just before Christmas my dad’s dog Kane (see above) now known as “Friggin’ bastard dog from the bowels of hell” managed to squeeze himself under my desk and sent my lap top crashing to the floor. The end result was a couple of artistic looking cracks in my screen. Oh yeah man I love that dog, I don’t regret rescuing him from that drug dealer who was using him as bait for other pit bulls in fight training not for one minute. Well at least that’s what I tell myself these days.

:: [We interrupt this post to give you the low down on Mia’s history with Dell and her laptop]:: As soon as I purchased my computer I started having problems with it and not minor little crap either. Personally I feel some crystal meth addict out in Malaysia built the sucker on a Friday while in a hurry to go score some crystal. Because his mind was on the meth he took longer than usual assembling my computer. This in turn caused him to miss meeting his dealer outside in front of his job at the appointed time therefore he didn’t get to score. Angered by this he put a curse on my laptop before it was shipped out to me. I can’t explain the drama I had with the darned thing any other way. The lap top was spending more time at Dell’s repair center than it was in my home. After 11 months of this Dell decided just to give me a new one. However what the sneaky bastards didn’t tell me was that they had applied the warranty of the meth-head laptop which was just about to expire to the new one. :: [Now back to the post]::



I called Dell to get the damaged screen replaced (see above) and was informed that my screen was not covered under the insurance. WTF!? The Dell dude said that if my laptop had a ceiling fall on it or been dropped into a bucket of water it would have been covered. But for now I was assed out, the kicker was that the screen cost $478.00 and because the warranty had expired they couldn’t install even if I paid for it to be done. However they’d be more than happy to instruct me how to do it over the phone. Needless to say I passed on the offer. Let’s be real here people between the screen and the cost of shipping I would’ve spent a little over $500.00 and that’s a lot of dinero for a struggling (violins please) student. That equals about 2 textbooks, a couple of pencils with the fuzzy tops I love so much and a cup of hot chocolate from Mike the street vendor. I searched the internet high and low for replacement screen only to be disappointed. I admit I had given up and was about to call Dell and cave in. Just then mom found a place in Jersey that charged only $260.00 for the screen and labor. I was saved! I spoke to Ravi the owner of the place:

Mia: Ravi I love you man! I swear I do!

Ravi: (laughter) You say that now but will you still love me when I am old and losing my hair?

Mia: Probably not Ravi. But why dwell on the future? Let us live now in the present and know that you have my love for the moment.


Ravi liked my sense of humor so much (yeah people that’s the way I talk in real life) he’s not charging me for the shipping. Life is good people, life is good.




Potential Board of Education job: A while back I wrote about a non-profit organization I want to set up for kids about to be aged out of the foster care system when I am done with school. Through a recent acquaintance of my mother’s I have a hook up with the NYC Board of Education. The lady is a counselor for school aged kids being released from jail and going back into the school system, which is basically what I wanted to do with my psychology degree before I got the idea for the non-profit. I wanted to work with incarcerated kids. She offered to recommend me for a position with the Board of Education. This is perfect for me because the job will finance grad school for me, which is a huge load off of my mind. Especially since The House has cut financial aid to students. Whewww now I won’t have to consider that job as a pole dancer at the local strip club that I was offered as a way to finance the rest of my education.



Job offers: I’ve gotten some interesting job offers out of the blue lately…
1) Teaching English for the summer in Taiwan. Shouldn’t I at least know some Taiwanese?

2) Production Assistant for a film maker. This would be great for a film major. I’m a psych major, nope not for me.

3) Bus Driver: The #36 bus driver the other night thought I was (his words) “a fine lookin’ juicy 23 year old”.He felt that I would be an excellent addition to the brotherhood of mass transit workers and he even offered to let me drive the bus on the last part of the route so I could get a feel for it. Uh huh, I passed on that one.

4) Head Ho': My all time favorite job offer made by Big Daddy Mandingo, the multi-lingual pimp. I was offered the position of “Head ho’ on a very profitable corner of "the point". He even offered a dental plan. I got to keep mine as long as I didn't hold out on him.


I leave it now in your hands…count your blessings and remember life is beautiful!

Labels: ,





Posted by @ 6:17 PM
3 comment from: Blogger Aisha, Blogger Mia, Blogger TotallyHappened,