Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Finger flambé, tucking and rolling, Angela reborn, a wonderful Saturday night


New York had been experiencing spring like weather for several weeks which is pretty unusual for January. All of that came to an end on Saturday. It was freezing, windy, the rain seemed to be coming down in sheets and the weather man had promised it would all be turning into snow after 11 pm. For once the weather dude was right. It was a perfect night to stay indoors and make it a blockbuster night. However I’d promised a friend I’d do the lounge lizard thing with her and a group of equally brave friends. So for the love of my amiga I ventured out of my warm comfy Bronx cocoon into Queens.

We were celebrating my friend finally breaking up with her boyfriend. She had broken up with the butt wipe several times before, but the breakups never lasted more than 24 hrs. It has now been 3 weeks. He’d pleaded, faked illness, physically threatened her and still she HAD NOT CAVED IN! Anytime she felt like she was about to give in she’d call me and I’d play Dr. Mia, therapist to mistreated girlfriends. Hours upon hours of discussion and an intervention session from another friend and I had paid off…she HAD NOT CAVED IN! Yes indeedy time to celebrate! The hangover and the throbbing finger I had the next day were well worth it.

We were served a round of fancy shmancy drinks, the flaming kind. By the way I’m now of the strong opinion that they should be serving these alongside mini fire extinguishers, Alcohol and fire don’t mix or maybe I should say Mia, alcohol and fire DO NOT mix. At some point when I was handed my booze ala flambé some of the alcohol must have splashed onto my finger …that’s my story and I’m sticking to it…unless you can come up with something better. All I know is that as we raised our glasses to toast our beloved Angela for finally coming to her senses someone quite excitedly I might add, pointed out that my finger was on fire. As they made their wishes and blew on my finger my eyes raced along the crowded table in search of a glass of NON ALCOHOLIC liquid to dunk my finger in. Luckily for me I found a glass of water and put my finger out. After that my finger let me know it was fine by constantly throbbing.

We continued to party on because heaven forbid we should let something as trivial as a flame broiled finger stop us! A good time was had by all especially Reina. Not only did she puke a block away from the lounge but several blocks later she slipped on the snowy streets. The thing was she just didn’t fall, she tucked and rolled people! It was like something out of a movie. She tucked and rolled her way down the street. When she finally stopped rolling, she just sat up unable to get up. I wish I could say that I ran to her rescue or that I even tried to prevent her fall but that is not the case I was laughing too hard to be of any help to her. My bf had to help her up. When she made it to her feet we realized that she had lost both of her earrings. She had them when she left the lounge and she still had them during her open air puke fest, so we can only assume that while she was tucking and rolling her hoops came out. All in all despite the finger flambé and the tucking and rolling it was a wonderful Saturday night, Angela was reborn.
Looking back I think we need to make a list for the next time we chill:

::1:: Make sure Reina is earring free.

::2:: Make sure there’s a fire extinguisher handy.

::3:: Limit Reina to 2 drinks.

::4::Make sure Reina has training wheels on her ass.

Labels: ,





Posted by @ 2:12 PM
3 comment from: Blogger Unknown, Blogger Just Jane, Blogger Mia,