Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Who Knows...


It was a record breaking sixty three degrees in New York on Saturday! It was impossible to stay indoors. The gentle wind caressing the city seemed to beckon us all to come out and play; everyone seemed to fall under its' spell because the streets were packed. It’s as if everyone had the same thought, leave the cars at home and walk. Even though the sky was a beautiful blue and the sun was shining brightly to me the best part of the day was the air; it had the cleansing feel of winter with a hint of spring sweetness. I’ll try to explain it so bear with me. It probably won’t make any sense but the heck welcome to my brain.

Before I launch into an explanation about the feel of the air I guess I should let you in on a small secret about me. In life I’ve found very few people around me “get me”. When I try to describe things like this they inevitably look at me and say, “WTF? Damn you’re weird.” I’ve heard it all my life from my peers. While they may have great affection and respect for me they always find me kind of weird. Not weird in a pulling wings off of insects talking to my imaginary friend kind of way, just different. They’ve never been able to put me in any one particular category, which is just fine with me. My mother says that while other people may march to the tune of a different drummer, I am the drummer. It doesn’t bother me at all that others find me “weird” I’ve never felt the need to “fit in” I like being unique , seeing the world through my own eyes , forming my own opinions, adhering to my own values and moral compass even though it may not be in step with the feelings and actions of those around me. I’m the type of person that notices the hues in the sky, the colors of the moon, and the shape of the clouds. I’m the one that stares at sunsets and finds peace looking out at the ocean and can smell weather changes in the air long before the weatherman let’s me know the deal. I take note of the foliage and birds around me. Crap like that does not fly well in the land of The Bronx.

For me each season has a different feel and I just don’t mean the obvious changes in weather. The arrival of each season awakens different feelings and paints vivid pictures in my mind, complete with seasonal soundtracks I must admit. The funny thing is that the “seasonal soundtracks” playing in my mind always involve music from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. I’ve never been able to figure out why it’s just oldies, but it is and it’s never just one song it’s a whole bunch of them. The Doors, Gerry and The Pace makers, Hendrix, Joplin, The Chi-Lites, Main Ingredient, Eddie Holman, Marvin Gaye, Al Green and Aretha Franklin are among the artists who they are all up in there. It’s one of those things that can’t be explained. My mom’s Buddhist friend says that those are the remnants of a past life. Personally I think it’s due to my mom wearing headphones on her belly while she was pregnant with me.

Okay now back to Saturday, the air felt like love, it was gentle and caressing kind of like a spring day. Told you it was hard to explain. Small gusts of warm air kicked up every now feeling wonderful against my face. I sniffed the air almost expecting to pick up the scent of flowers instead I picked up the scent of the ocean, which I love. A flock of sea gulls (no not the band) flew over me every now and then emitting a cry. Maybe it was the weather, maybe it’s because the new school term is only a week a way and I’m looking forward to it; but as I watched the sea gulls I got this odd feeling. It’s hard to describe the feeling. It always happens to me when a major change is headed my way.
I wish I could tell if it’s a good one or a bad one all I know is that I feel something is headed this way. The feeling didn’t last for more than a minute but when it was over I felt a smile take over my face and as I looked up into the sky at the gulls I started humming, “Who Knows” from West Side Story, “Could be! Who knows? There's something due any day; I will know right away, Soon as it shows. It may come cannonballing down through the sky, Gleam in its eye, Bright as a rose! “

Labels:





Posted by @ 2:58 AM
4 comment from: Blogger Leah, Blogger Emory Mayne, Blogger Mia, Blogger DannieS72,