Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Monday, February 16, 2009

Who's On First?


The Bengali security guard had just given us a lecture on Bangladesh and its history when he turned his attention to one of the social workers.




“What are you?” he asked.

“I’m African-American” she replied

“Really? I love Africa I spent time there when I was younger. Where are you from?”

“New York”

“No, I mean where were you born?”

“Brooklyn.”

A look of confusion crossed over his face. He decided to try another tact.

“Where are your parents from?”

“Down south.” She quickly replied.

He sighed

“Where were your parents born?” he asked certain he would receive the answer he was expecting.

“Alabama.”

“What about your grandparents?”

“Alabama” she confirmed as she unwrapped a stick of gum and slid it into her mouth.

He narrowed his eyes and stared at her.

“You’re African-American right?”

“Uh huh” she said in between cracking her gum.

“Where in Africa is your family from?”

She stared up at him as if he had insulted her.

“My family is from the South!”

“South Africa?”

“Hell no, they’re from Georgia!”

“But you told me you’re African-American!”

“I am!”

“Where in Africa?”

“What? I’m not from Africa! I told you my family is from the south!”

I chuckled and walked off leaving them to sort it out for themselves.
I was reminded of the Abbott and Costello comedy routine ”Who’s On First”.












Labels:





Posted by @ 12:27 AM
3 comment from: Blogger christina/ohio, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Mia,