Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Mia Explains: Memorial Day


Yeah man it’s that time again time for Mia to explain the holiday…


Memorial Day, is a United States federal holiday originally called Decoration Day, is a day to remember those who have died in our nation's service. It began first to honor Union soldiers who died during the American Civil War. After World War I, it expanded to include those who died in any war or military action. In the Spring of 1866, Henry C. Welles, a druggist in the village of Waterloo, NY, suggested that the patriots who had died in the Civil War should be honored by decorating their graves. General John B. Murray, Seneca County Clerk, embraced the idea and a committee was formed to plan a day devoted to honoring the dead. Townspeople made wreaths, crosses and bouquets for each veteran's grave. Now the day appears to have expanded to include any person who was ever a service member who has since died, and observances of the day appear to be dominated by still-living veterans.


As Americans I think we sometimes have a tendency to take our troops for granted. I am reminded of the danger they face everyday as I watch the evening news or read the paper. Our soldiers are never far from my mind or my heart. Even though I don’t believe in this war I do believe in our troops and respect their courage. Every time I hear on the news that a soldier has been killed I pray to the heavens to keep my friends and family in Iraq and Afghanistan safe , I pray that all of our troops be kept safe after all they are my brothers and sisters too.

People join the service for a variety of reasons wanting to serve their country, as a way out etc. No matter the reason one thing is evident they love what they do, what they represent, they love their country. Certainly they do not do it for the love of money because a soldiers pay is nothing to brag about and if you ask me that’s a damn shame. Please take the time out today to in some way honor our troops past and present.

Labels:





Posted by @ 2:55 AM
0 comment from: