Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Friday, August 26, 2005

You know that's an Arab name right?

One of my mom’s Morrocan friends whose family had been here for several genarations had a bad experience in terms of dealing with a bigot this morning. Today as she was recounting the incident she asked my mom the following question and as a result had the following conversation which I listened in on.

Friend: How long does your family have had to be in this country and exactly how much blood do you have to shed for this country before you’re considered an American? And I don’t mean a hyphenated American like Mexican- American, Arab- American, Puerto Rican-American. I mean American period.

Mom: First of all there’s no such term as Puerto Rican-American at least I’ve never heard anyone I know referred to as that.

Friend: What do they call you?

Mom: Mrs. Suarez. Na they’ve always referred to me as a Latina, a Hispanic or just plain old Puerto Rican. Unless I was running from a gang of white kids in school determined to kick my ass. Then I was refered to as, "Hey you fucking spik!!"

Mia: You're too much ma!

Mom: What? It's the truth. They also used to call me "Mira Mira" and "Oye". Which are words in Spanish. I don't get it though. Back then they hated us and now they want to be us. Women want asses like J-Lo's ...I hear white people using spanish words in their slang. What's up with that?

Mia: Oh yea I hate that. When they call me Mami or a guy papi or say chica. I just want to slap them.

Mom: Umm hum I hear you on that little one. I hate that too... it's like Latinos are now the "new white" we're what's in.

Friend: So what do they call you guys?

Mom: “You guys”? what are we a moving company? (picks up pretend phone, and mimics spanish accent) " Hello ju guys movers...ju pack ju chit and we move it for ju!"

Friend: You know what I mean! Specifically what do they call you guys the latinos?

Mom: Well they call us Latinos a facinating group of people and damn good looking too! Na, I think they’re refering to us as Spanish –Americans now. I can’t keep up with the wacky world of labeling.

Friend: Spanish- American?

Mom: Yeah I think it’s because the Spanish language is what binds us all even though our cultures are distinctively different. They tend to lump us all together . Then from there they start breaking it down by country I guess.

Friend: So what do you call yourself?

Mom: Magda

Friend: You know that’s an Arab name right?

Mom: I’ve heard rumors. Things were intimidated, clues were left.
No seriously it's been in my family for ever plus a day.

Friend: So how does a Puerto Rican woman born in New York get an Arab name?

Mom: Simple you have Berber and Muslim ancestors that’s how.

Friend: How the hell?

Mom: Okay here’s a breakdown of my ancestry ready?
My mother’s and father’s family originated from Spain…the Canary Islands . Both sides were Guanches decendants of Berbers. Somewhere along the line of them people someone was named Magda and there has been a Magda in every generation since then.
My Guanche family left Spain when Spain “discovered” PR.. there my Guanche ancestors who were all men married Taino Indian women and had lost of babies… those babies grew up to marry more Spaniards and Tainos.
When The US took over Puerto Rico over in 1898 a few of my relatives were sent off to the Indian school here in the US but after graduating they went back to the island had some more babies and then those crazy coo coo kids immigrated here after WWll, and we’ve been here ever since.

Friend: I thought Tainos were extinct?

Mom: Full blooded yeah, half breeds like my family and my husbands no. they even did a study recently in PR something like 68 percent of the island tested positive for Taino DNA. Ask Mia about that she was tested and came up positive for the DNA… she has the results. Why do you think I have such beautiful tanned skinned children?
Friend: Honestly I thought that maybe Mia and Steven were from a first marriage or something since you and your husband are so white and your youngest is white too.

Mom: No, one marriage, same father for all of them. They take after their Taino ancestors in terms of features and coloring.

Friend: So seriously Maggie what do you consider yourself?

Mom: Boriqua baby.

Friend: Boriqua?

Mom: Yup Boriqua aka Puerto Rican.

Friend: Not American?

Mom: It's a very complicated relationship we Boriquas have with the mainland my friend. Yes,I am American because I was born here on the mainland but in my heart soy Boriqua baby. When people ask me what I am the first thing that comes out of my mouth is Puerto Rican the heart over rules the birth certificate I guess.

They continued their conversation as I prepared to leave. My mother didn’t have an answer for her friend’s original question neither did I.


However it did bring to mind something I recently read on one of my favorite blogs. Over at Miss Mabrouk’s blog there was a discussion amongst a few of her readers (myself included) in response to a post she made entitled
“The Dream of Multiculturalism is Over” as soon as I learn to link that post up here I will. For now you have to look in her August Archieves b/c it’s been moved down.
In the commentary section of the post I responded to a comment made by Programmer Craig in response to a comment made my Trevor.
I seemed to have ruffled Craig’s feathers a little when I wrote…never mind just read the following discussion…(Thank God for cut and paste!)

Trevor said...
Oh, I don't think that the dream of multiculturalism is over. But any dreams of coexisting cultures where one culture intends to dominate the others by force are probably on shaky ground.

I don't care what the culture is, it won't succeed in the long-term if it doesn't value human life and human individuality.

Long life and happiness to you.
programmer craig said...
Well, trevor, the european notion of "multiculturalism" is to accept and tolerate the beliefs and practices of immigrants, even when they are directly at odds with beliefs and practices (and laws!) in the host society.

They could go with the melting pot system that's worked so well in America. But I'm guessing the won't :)
20:19
Mia said...
Melting pot system? Yeah I guess we have been a little luckier than most nations in terms of that. Although the 2 generations of my family that preceeded me in this country would beg to differ.
And believe me I thank them everyday for making it easier for my generation to be accepted into the melting pot.
04:22

programmer craig said...
A little luckier than most? What country do you think does a better job of assimilating immigrants, Mia? I live in southern california, where immigrants are the majority of the population, and I see people living the "American Dream" every day. I work with people who've been in the US less than a year who live the American Dream. I'll freely admit a lot of them don't seem to like the US much, but they're HERE and they are succeeding in life. And I think that's pretty remarkable.
09:21
Mia said...
Yeah a little luckier than most Craig. As the grandchild of immigrants I feel qualified to say that. It's not perfect but then again tell me which country is.

My grandfather has a metal plate in his head as a result of being welcomed into this country as an immigrant in the late 1950's. My grandparents (both sides) had to literally fight to be able to walk on certain streets in our city b/c the immigrant welcoming committee was always ready to pounce.

My grandparents and parents weren't allowed to speak Spanish at home or in school b/c The Board of Education and teachers advised their parents that doing that would confuse the child and impede their learning abilities. As if being bilingual would fry their brains. The only reason that programs such as bilingual education even exist in this country is because the young Latinos of my mother's generation like the Young Lords took to the streets and demanded change.

My great grandmother came to this country as a RN and had hoped to find a job as a RN but thanks to a remark by Eleanor Roosevelt made about Puerto Ricans being unclean she instead had to work as a maid in a hotel. Even though Mrs.R later retracted that remark, that one stupid remark stigmatized and stereotyped a generation of Boriquas (Puerto Ricans).

My mom grew up in the 70's and as a child she was chased and beaten in schools when they'd find out she was Puerto Rican. Some parents wouldn't even allow their children to play with her. In high school b/c of her coloring people assumed she was white but one day when a Mexican girl came to the school my mom spoke Spanish to her. The end result my mom was hit with text book and called a "spic" by the other students.

Ah yeah a few years back there were some congressional meetings to decide whether PR should be made a state and one of the elected officials thanked a highly decorated Puerto Rican general for his service in the Puerto Rican Military service... Hello the dumb wad didn't even realize that there was no such thing as the PR Military... The General was part of The American military service period …after all we are a possession of the USA.

Just a few months ago I was ready to pound out a kid who was harassing my Egyptian cousin in school over being a Muslim and an Arab... the nicest thing he said to her was that she was a sand jockey... Trust me the kid almost needed dentures by the time I was done with him.

As I said in my post we are luckier than most in this country when it comes to the melting pot theory and I thank those who came before me every day for making it easier for my generation. And it's true many immigrants are living the American Dream but for everyone who has "made it" there are countless who haven't.

And it's a sad thing to have to admit that in this wonderful country in this day and age I fight discrimination and ignorance a lot more than I should have to. Never mind the fact that I as well and my parents were born here. Never mind the fact that I’ve had countless family members sacrificed in the various wars this country has been part of since WWII. Never mind the fact that I come from a career military family filled with distinguished servicemen/women, or that right now my cousin got accepted into the astronaut program after being in the AF most of her adult life. Despite all that there are times when an ignorant ass will tell me "You sure speak good English for a spic".

So please unless you've walked in the shoes of my ancestors or mine for that matter, don't make blanket statements like all is peachy and hunkey dorey because it's not; ignorance and intolerance is every where, even in our own back yard.
And trust me when you have a last name like "Suarez" you learn that very early in life. I love this country and if I had to I would die to defend it, but the reality of it is that a lot of schmucks when they see me they don't think or say American instead they call me a wetback or a spic. Like I said we have been luckier than most and I stand by that statement, but we still have a very long way to go.

Sorry if I got kinda preachy there ritzy.. and as usual your blog is the bomb diggity Ms.Mabrouk!
23:28

ritzy said...
I really enjoyed listening in to this discussion!
23:43
programmer craig said...
Mia, I grew up in the 70s also (i'm probably about the same age as your mother! eh... nm that), in New Jersey, which I'm sure you know means I grew up around a lot of Puerto Rican kids. I don't remember the 70s being like that. But again, I say each family has different stories to tell.

I was married to a 1st generation chinese immigrant for 10 years. Her dad came here middle aged with nothing and is now a multi-millionaire. My ex has a MBA from one of the best colleges in California, and makes good money! I also feel qualified to comment on this, you know. We don't have many Puerto Ricans in California, but Mexicans make up about 40% of the population here. Some are gardeners, some work at McDonald's and some work in high tech industries. It's not a free ride, but the opportunities ARE there!

I think we'll just have to disagree about the "a little luckier than most" part. They don't call it the AMERICAN dream for nothing.
12:56
programmer craig said...
BTW, I'm a 14th generation immigrant, myself, and they had it wayyyy bad back then!
12:59
Mia said...
Yeah Craig I guess you are right in that we’ll agree to disagree about being a little luckier than most. However I would like to point out that growing up with Puerto Rican kids is a lot different than growing up being a Puerto Rican kid. You have no way of knowing what (if) they went through because looking at someone’s shoes is way different than actually living in them.

“BTW, I'm a 14th generation immigrant, myself, and they had it wayyyy bad back then!”

No doubt way back then immigrants had it tough, as did American Indians and they were on their own home turf! When Gen. Miles the very same dude who hunted down Chiefs Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse; the very same dude who captured Chiefs Joseph of the Nez Perces and Geronimo of the Apaches. When Gen. Miles invaded Borinquen on behalf America, none of this melting pot theory was applied to Puerto Ricans. Instead the children Caciques (Taino Indian Chiefs) and Boriqua leaders were shipped off to The Carlisle Indian Industrial School in an attempt to Americanize them. No one was asking them,”Hey you wanna be a part of our melting pot system?” No they were told to confirm, to leave hundreds of years of custom, religion and language behind if they were to be accepted as Americans, be part of the American dream.

Puerto Ricans were granted statutory citizenship to the United States in 1917. Yet three years earlier, on 12 March 1914 the citizens of Puerto Rico opposing this imposition of American citizenship sent a "Memorandum to the President and Congress of the United States" stating, " We firmly and loyally oppose our being declared, against our express will or without our express content, citizens of any other than our own beloved country which God granted to us as an inalienable gift and incoercible right." Even without support of the Puerto Rican people the Jones Act was passed. The Jones Act of 1917 merely granted Puerto Ricans a status of citizenship, which was not equivalent to the constitutional citizenship. This partial citizenship, however, did not prevent the United States from drafting Puerto Ricans into the armed forces during World War I, or from recruiting Puerto Ricans to labor in defense industries during the time of war.

It was illegal to fly our own flag in our own country and remained that way until the 50’s and when finally it was allowed it was because my people rioted for the right to do so. Even then the victory was tainted because we could fly our flag only if we raised the American flag besides it and the Puerto Rican had to be lower than the American flag.


It was illegal to sing our unofficial anthem “Preciosa” because it of these words….
“Preciosa te llaman los bardos…que cantan tu historia. No importa el tirano te trate…con negra maldad. Preciosa serás sin bandera…sin lauros, ni glorias. Preciosa, preciosa te llaman los hijos
de la libertad.”
Translation “ Beloved is what writers call you when they sing of your history…It doesn’t matter if the tyrant treats you with black wickedness…Beloved even without your flag, without laurels, without glories… (He meant this as an attempt by the govt. to erase our history)..Beloved, beloved is what you are called by the sons of liberty”.
Political parties advocating liberty for Puerto Rico were outlawed, their leaders jailed. The FBI spied and kept files on Puerto Rican leaders for decades (they were made public a few years ago).
In 1900 scores of my people were rounded up much like the American Indians were and shipped off the island to Hawaii as a source of cheap labor for the plantations out there. Very few went willingly, they were forced. In some cases entire families were separated.

When my people began immigrating to this country weren’t exactly met with open arms. Despite the fact that agents of the American govt. and industries went looking us as a source of cheap labor, encouraged us to come here. We weren’t welcomed to join the melting pot we had to fight to be accepted … But then again what immigrant population hasn’t?

Except, I don’t recall the immigrants of 14 generations ago being coerced into sterilization. My people were subjected to sterilization as part of a program meant to control over population of the island and free up cheap labor for the American companies. Sterilization was introduced into Puerto Rico in the 1930's and was still going on in the 70’s. The contraceptive methods used by so many today the pill, IUD’s, were tested on my people first. Our women were the guinea pigs for this, with the consent of the American government I might add. By the time they were done 35% of our women had been sterilized. “The increased sterilization of Puerto Ricans becomes more and more necessary as the U.S. industrial plans for the island -plans which profit U.S. corporations, and do not build a future for the inhabitants of Puerto Rico -develop.” This is comes from a report written in the early 70’s for entitled “Opportunities for Employment, Education and Training in Puerto Rico”.

In NYC our communities lacked the most basic services provided to other immigrant communities; adequate health care and routine garbage pick up by the sanitation dept.
For example in the summer of 1969, neighborhoods such as El Barrio in Spanish Harlem were not getting their garbage picked up with the same frequency as the white neighborhoods several blocks away. Our streets were dirty, disgusting, a hot bed for disease. Adding credibility to the then stereotype of PR’s as being slovenly. Pleas to the local government for regular garbage pick ups in Latino communities were ignored. Fed up the citizens of the El Barrio got together to rid the garbage from their communities. It wasn’t until they started erecting barricades of garbage in the streets and mini riots between them and the police occurred that City Hall took notice. The community did not give up and eventually City Hall had to give in and started scheduling regular garbage pick ups in El Barrio and other Latino neighborhoods.

I feel that to be part of the melting pot does not mean that you abandon the customs, language, and traditions of your ancestors. Unfortunately the melting pot doesn’t always subscribe to my theory. A few years ago there was a plebiscite to make Puerto Rico a state. Puerto Ricans voted that they didn’t want to be a state. After that I read of flurries of articles in the media on how we as Puerto Ricans were ungrateful and unappreciative of the opportunity we were being given. About how we were unwilling to make English our official language despite being a part (colony albeit) of the USA, yet willing to take money from the USA. My favorite quote of all time came out of the hearings held on the proposed statehood for Puerto Rico it was by Lolita Lebron, “"People were not born to be slaves, even if those slaves were dressed in gold and ate at the tables of their masters. There was a divine principle underlying the situation: human beings had been created free and should, therefore, move in the direction of freedom. The United States had tried to make young Puerto Ricans forget their language and culture -- to make them speak English and think of themselves as North Americans. They wanted to buy Puerto Ricans with banal things. The United States gave Puerto Rico nothing, exploiting the territory 24 hours a day, while it was claimed that Puerto Rico could not survive without the United States. Puerto Rican heads might be bowed, but they were a people who would rise from their knees.”


Now you may be asking yourself holy crap, Mia does this mini history lesson have a point?! Yes it does….lol
I wanted to illustrate that everyone not everyone is accepted into the melting pot right away. My people had to put up with a lot of crap dating back to 1898 and it has been only within the last 20 years that we have finally been accepted into the melting pot.
It is now that you’re hearing traces of our music creeping into the mainstream, only now that our food is becoming as desired and as accessible as a hot dogs and apple pie. It is only now that our language is blending with yours. Like I said previous generations have made it easier for my generation but there’s still a lot of work to be done. But even with its’ flaws Craig our country is luckier than most when it comes to the success of this.


Interesting discussion don’t you think?




Posted by @ 3:14 PM
1 comment from: Anonymous Anonymous,