Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Thursday, January 10, 2008

A Moment I’d Remember Forever


For a brief second yesterday I thought I had walked onto a Tyler Perry movie set. The faint sounds of classic Motown music filled the lobby of my apartment complex. It had been years since that happened. Once upon time music reigned supreme in our building lobby from 9 am- 4 pm. That ended when the new landlords took over five years ago and brought in their own staff and set down some rules. Music was banned from the lobby along with everything else. There were no more barbecues in the playground, no more parties or potluck dinners in the community room, no more late night card and domino games in the front of the building during the summer months. The seniors started dying off one by one, families moved away; kids grew up and got married. They were all replaced with new tenants and the atmosphere of the building changed. No one made the effort to get to know each other anymore.

As I got closer to the elevator bank on my side of the building the music got louder and I realized it was coming from the laundry room. I stuck my head in and what I saw warmed my heart. The laundry room was packed with women long term tenants and new tenants. Some were actually doing laundry others while others were just chilling drawn to the room by the music. The scene took me back to my teen years when the tenants of this complex had been more like one huge family. By the time the ladies started doing the electric slide to Barry White’s “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love” there were at least 6 of us watching from the doorway. One of the ladies spotted us and pulled us into the room .

I took in the scent of laundry detergent and fabric softener as I danced with the group of at least 20 women of different races, cultures and ages. As I listened to the laughter of the women as they danced it suddenly hit me, this is a moment I’d remember forever.
Can’t Get Enough of Your Love-Barry White

Labels:





Posted by @ 10:34 AM
5 comment from: Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Wendy aka Cheeky, Blogger Mia, Blogger DannieS72, Blogger Mia,