Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Friday, February 17, 2006

The Big Kiss Off




So we’re sitting in class the other day and one of the professors brings up the subject of adultery and the psychological effects of it. All of a sudden my friend’s hand shoots up in the air as if someone were offering free beer. She gave some speech about how if her future husband would cheat on her she’d kill him. I look away from her appalled by her hypocrisy. Karma is so gonna bite you on your ass…hell it’s going to such big old chunk out of your ass, it’s going to change your profile forever. Invest in some spackling and filler girl. She looks at me and I say nothing.

After class, the discussion of adultery was still going on between her and some of our friends. She turns and asks me for my opinion I raise my eyebrows, I got nothing to say. I’m not her mother she’s old enough to know the difference between right and wrong.
Once again she asks for my opinion.Why is this chick taunting me? Why does she want to hear my mouth? Aren’t I trying to play nice today? “ What do I think? I think that you’re the least qualified person to expound on the damaging effects of adultery to a wife. That’s what I think.” Crap I said that out loud. Just then she decided to give me attitude. I guess getting laid on a semi regular basis by a married man makes a person brave. Either that or she’d eaten her Wheaties that morning. She turned to me and with all the obnoxious attitude and disrespect she could muster, “You know what? I know you don’t like him and guess what I don’t give a fuck. I don’t give a fuck if you don’t like him.” I guess she repeated it for emphasis. Double crap I had so wanted to remain on my best behavior. I wanted to be all sugar and spice and now she messed it up.

I felt my ears warming up and the vein in my neck throbbing. Oh yeah, temperature is rising. My eyes got narrow and my voice fell an octave or so. It tends to deepen and get husky when I am angry… I don’t yell, I hate raising my voice…I leaned into her and said, “don’t get stupid with me because I swear to my mother I will slap the shit out of you right here in front of everyone.” She backed up and looked kind of scared. I’ve never talked to her like that; crap I’ve never talked to anyone like that. Everyone around us was stunned; you could’ve heard a pin drop. I turned around and walked away from her, disgusted with myself for losing my temper like that. They all scrambled to catch up with me. I didn’t trust myself to speak to her for a few minutes allowing my head to clear. I took a couple of cleansing breaths as I made my way to our next class. She tried to make nice with me by handing me a book she knew I’d wanted to read. When I finally trusted myself to speak I thanked her and said, “The reason I don’t like him is because you and I know the guy is married.”

She ignores what I tell her. Fluck it. It’s not my life…que se joda. She then tells me that she’s had a ravenous appetite lately, this is nothing new she’s always had a huge appetite. I know what she is hinting at and I wait for the other shoe to drop. She says that she’s been feeling nauseous lately as well. Shit here we go again. It’s all in her head but I decide to humor her. “You better get a pregnancy test then” I tell her. I do the math in my head our cycles are a day apart from each other we were on time last month. We’re not due yet. I ask her if she’s told him of her suspicions she says yes.
Now it all makes sense I’ve noticed he seems to be avoiding her. At work when she AIM’s him he says he’s busy and going to be away from his desk all day. That’s odd considering that his loser spends at least 7 hrs per day chatting to her from his computer at work. How can she not see he’s giving her the big kiss off? He tells her she should see other people as well… she tells him she is (liar). I tell her my boyfriend and I do not count as dating other people. I tell her she needs to be more careful, take precautions. I tell her look he made his girlfriend/wife what ever the hell she is to him get an abortion because he didn’t want to be a father…just keep your eyes open. She gets mad. I take a deep sigh and say, “Do what ever the hell you want to do. I don’t care. I’m not picking up the broken pieces of you anymore. I’m done.”and I meant it, I walk away from her .

I decide that I should keep my distance at least for a few days. I need a break from her. I hate stupid heffas. Usually we talk to each other several times a day. I ignore her calls. She tells Angela that I am mad at her and she is afraid to approach me. Angela’s words soften me up and I call her… “Look im not mad at you, just the situation you’re putting yourself in. I worry about you.” She replies, “I love you , I love you to death, I’ve missed you, it’s been hell without you baby.” I look at my phone cracking up and say “Reina wtf is up with that? What are we a couple now? You wanna go have make up sex now?” We both start laughing and our conversation turns to homework.

The next day is Valentines Day; she rushes out of class to check her email. He hasn’t e-mailed her. I see her in the library waiting online for him she AIMS him he asks how she’s doing; she wishes him a happy Valentine’s Day and reminds of him of their plans. He tells her he’s sorry but he forgot they were supposed to be hanging out that night. He’s made other plans. Her face betrays her emotions, I wish I could feel sorry for her but I can’t. She should’ve known he’s going to spend the day with his wifey and not her, common sense. She tells him her pregnancy tests was negative and he says “whew thank God, okay take care of yourself.” That’s his signature line now when they end their conversations. Conversations she initiates. Before whenever they’d end a conversation he’d tell her talk to you late baby. I care for you. Now it’s take care of yourself. Take the hint girl, take the hint. You’re being dismissed.

She asks me what my plans are and I inform her Jason and I are having dinner. She says nothing. I know she wants me to chill with her and ordinarily I’d invite her to tag along with me and Jason and then her and I can spend the evening declaring that all men are bastards and Jason can defend his sex. I decided not to. I think she needs to spend the time alone and absorb what’s going on. I try again to feel bad for her and I can’t.

Labels:





Posted by @ 10:57 AM
4 comment from: Blogger Aisha, Blogger Mia, Blogger Just Jane, Blogger Emory Mayne,