Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Living in a snow globe...






In the predawn hours I was awakened by thunder and lightning. The lightning was so close to my home it lit up the entire house. I sat up in bed to listen to the thunder and made my way to the window camera in hand hoping to get some nice shots of the lightning when I threw open the window I found that I couldn’t see a darned thing. The snow was falling in sheets from the sky. I had awakened to find I was living in a snow globe.

So far we’ve gotten 2 feet but with the heavy winds the snow drifts are much higher in areas like ours. It looks like we’re going to be breaking some sort of record by tonight. It’s quite beautiful actually the streets are deserted of traffic and people. The nearest train station is a mile away it’s empty the trains around here run on elevated tracks so when a storm like this hits there’s no service to this part of the Bronx. I look out the window towards the river and the Statue of Liberty and can’t even see them. The sky is beautiful, the air smells so clean. The snow flakes are obese, as if they’ve been locked away in some little corner of winter that stubbornly refused to come out this season until now. Maybe it’s because it hasn’t snowed like this in such a long time but damn those flakes look ultra bright as if they’ve gone through a wash cycle with some Clorox.

My dad attempted to walk Kane this morning. As soon as they got outside Kane looked at my father as if to say, “Wtf William you must be tripping! This ain’t for me mijo you better go upstairs and get that ½ breed Chow/St.Bernard mix Cleo out here, she can handle this. This shit ain’t for me papa!” he timidly walked a few feet and sank in the snow, only his head was visible above the snow. He quickly pulled my dad back into the building. I had looked forward to going out to Central Park and getting some shots of the kids playing in the snow, people skiing down the streets. It’s not happening, I am snow bound. I kinda like, it sipping on hot chocolate looking at my latest shipment of Netflix movies…maybe I’ll watch Pinjar again snuggled up on the sofa with my favorite purple quilt. My little brother Stevie oops my bad he’s 16 now and wants to be called Steven, so let me start over. My little brother Steven has been called by his friend’s grandmother to come over and shovel her walkway. She offers to pay him and he says he can’t accept her money however for anyone else his shovel is for hire. Me thinks StevieSteven is going to be in a higher income bracket by day’s end. The phone rang as I was halfway through this post it seems the romantic Dr. Zhivago like atmosphere of the snow in Central Park has inspired my dad’s youngest brother Uncle Mike (32), he finally proposed to his girl friend Rosie. My dad is whoop whooping around the house. My mom says praise be somebody she may actually get a nephew/niece from him before I make her a grandmother…lol I’m looking out the window as I type this out. I think I will throw some layers on and go outside and enjoy the snow.

Labels:





Posted by @ 1:54 PM
3 comment from: Blogger Mr. Khurram, Blogger Emory Mayne, Blogger Mia,