Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Friday, August 19, 2005

A Bad Day

Ever have one of those days you wish you could take back?
Mines was yesterday. I interviewed for an assistant youth program director job last week with a non-profit organization. The job title sounds more prestigious than the job actually is. The job involves me working with kids in an after school program for about 3 hrs per day doing arts and crafts, giving home work help and occasionally taking them on trips. The job is perfect for me because it doesn’t conflict with my school schedule and is a short subway ride from school.

The interview went well. They wanted to hire me on the spot and told me so.But I had to go for a 2nd interview and my refrences had to be checked. Refrences were checked they were really enthusiastic and told me it looked like I had the job.

This is where the saga starts. Yesterday was the 2nd interview. Ms. Ross called me the day before and asked me to bring in a transcript from my school, nothing else.
First of all let me say I am ashamed of last semester’s grades. My GPA went into the toilet thanks to me failing math twice! But I know it’s going to be back its normal 3.0 or higher after this semester, since I passed math during the summer.

At this juncture I would like to offer a tip, always go with your first instincts! I didn’t bring an extra copy of my resume along with my other paper work b/c I remembered it as I was leaving the house and said to myself I don’t need another copy they already have 3 copies of my resume over there. Then I thought about throwing on a long sleeve shirt or a blazer to cover my tattoos. But the oppressive heat we’ve been having kind of made me change my mind. I didn't want to show up at the interview looking all sweaty and wilted. I was dressed in nice business attire. Black on black pinstriped dress slacks and a white short sleeved dress blouse. Tasteful accessories, nice shoes, matching bag, hair pulled back, and lip gloss.

I arrive at the interview a few minutes early and was kept waiting for over an hour for our scheduled appointment. The girl who was being interviewed before me came out with a look that at best can be described as murderous.
I entered the room where I was being interviewed with a smile and an extended hand. I saw Ms. Ross, a middle aged woman with a sour face and disposition to match. She looked like she was having a bad day. I watched Ms. Ross's face drop as she spotted the tattoos peeking out under the edge of my sleeves. Doi! I thought to myself I should’ve worn a long sleeve shirt!. But surely she’s not going to judge me based on my tattoos was the lie I chose to tell myself. The interview went downhill from there. She seemed unable to get past the glimpse of tattoo she'd caught.

She wore the fakest smile I'd ever seen during our entire interview. It was as if someone had drawn in on her face with a sharpie marker. Ms. Ross asked for my school paper work. I gave her a copy of my old school transcript which stated that I had graduated and received an AA. I gave her a copy of my new school transcript and a letter from the registrar’s office that stated I was 2 terms away from graduating with a BA. She glanced at them and then asked for my resume.

I told her I didn’t bring my resume with me since I had already provided them with 3 copies. I assumed that she didn’t need it b/c she had not mentioned it on the phone when I asked if she required me to bring anything else besides my transcripts. CRAP! I should’ve printed the sucker out! I thought to myself.

At this point I noticed she had a copy of my resume in her hand and that there was a file with my name also containing a copy of my resume on her desk.
Yup this lady is busting my non exsistent balls for some reason. Maybe I remind her of someone she doesn't like, I think to myself. She then handed me a job application for me to fill out. Oh boy this is going well I thought to myself.

She asked me why was I majoring in psychology and why I liked working with pre-teens. She asked about my forensic psychology courses and what I was learning. I gave her my answers and then she handed me a test. I was to be tested in math and reading. WTF??? I completed the exam and handed it back to her. She then told me I could leave. No offering of her hand, no walking to the door. Yup this interview went really well I thought to myself.

I don’t know but I wasn’t feeling too optimistic after I left the place ….lol
Frankly given her body language I’d be really surprised if I got the job. Meanwhile the people I’m supposed to be working with had already decided where I was going to be assigned to. * Sigh* I’ll keep my fingers and toes crossed.

Labels: ,





Posted by @ 11:15 AM
0 comment from: