Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Peons and Kings at the Diner

I really dislike my boss, not only as an employer but as a person. Trust me, that’s a first for me. I usually find something to like about everyone I meet. Nope can’t think of one thing about this guy. Okay not true....he’s a great business man, he is a self made man. I have to admire him for at least that. But this man has a way of treating people, ugghhhh it’s like we’re all peons and he is a King. I understand he has a place to run and it’s a sizeable sum he has invested in his restaurant but that’s no excuse for being an obnoxious, contemptuous, cocky bastard. There I typed it out for the world to see!
He interferes with everyone’s job and then turns around and yells at his employees blaming them for his mistakes. As the hostess I get it worse, because the little man likes to stand there at the door while I greet customers. He will often interrupt me when I’m with customers taking over my job. It tends to irritate the customers and they’ll tell him so. This of course pisses him off because he thinks he can do everyone’s job better than they do and of course he’ll take it out on me. Ordinary I’d tell him off, but he’s my dad’s friend and I don’t want to disrespect him it looks bad on my dad. Before I went to work with him I was warned by the employees as to what type of man he is but I figure I’ll just ignore him but man oh man there is no ignoring this guy. He gets up all in your face until you just want to punch him out. Even his kids avoid working with him, they avoid him period. I spoke with my mom about this and told her a few of the things he had said and done to me. My dad over heard it all and told me if I wanted to quit I should do so. He went over and spoke to my boss about disrespecting me, even though I asked him to leave it alone, not to bother .From what I was able to understand (dad didn’t tell me the whole convo) my dad was basically told my boss in a nice way you keep messing with my kid and you and I are going to have a problem. The people in this restaurant know of me because my dad tends to brag about me. He’s done this all my life. A lot of the workers there are illegals and when I was taking immigration law while working on my associates I helped a lot of them with immigration problems. Any time they’d need help they’d come to my dad and he’d talk to me and I would do the research or talk with my professor (an immigration lawyer) for them.

He’s really proud of me. As a result I think it has caused some animosity between some of the employees and me. They feel as if I think I’m better than they are because I’m in college. That’s not true I don’t feel that way. My thing is this I see all the back biting and hypocrisy that goes on between alot of the employees there and choose not to be a part of it. I avoid those people whom I see make it a point to kiss their fellow workers when they come in and as soon as they leave the room start talking crap about them. That’s not my style. If I have something to say about a person I‘ll say it to their face. It makes life simpler that way. When I came into work yesterday one of the queen hypocrites looked at me and made a comment to the other queen hypocrite I would later find out was directed at me, she said, “ Oh I guess you need to have a college degree to work here.”
You see that’s what I mean about making life simpler. If she had just came up to me and made the comment directly at me I would have asked her what did she mean by that and where was the latent hostility coming from and then perhaps we could have talked about it and sorted it all out. But instead she chose the cowards way out snipe and run.
Tsk tsk…. I feel bad for her though she’s been there for 20 years and has nothing to show for it, her daughter also works there and is the same age as me, has a drinking problem and seems to be going nowhere in life. I imagine that my dad bragging about me and having some of the other people I work with sing my praises while dissing her daughter must be hard. I also don’t seek her out , and I don’t defer to her like some of the newer employees do. This I imagine must irk her she probably thinks I have an inflated opinion of myself. I say hello to her when I walk in but when she starts talking about people I excuse myself. I don’t want to be a part of that. I see so much racism here it's not a joke but that's something i'll write about another day.


I like my job; I’m learning a lot of stuff and meeting interesting people. I am also studying the people at my job, it’s amazing what a psych major can learn in a place like this.




Posted by @ 12:47 PM
0 comment from: