Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Friday, March 31, 2006

Ghosts of 9.11


It’s been a really odd week, the ghosts of September 11th have been making themselves known. Several days ago human remains victims of 9/11 were discovered near ground zero at the Deutsche Bank Building this is the second time this has happened. In January remains were found in the same building. The 41-story building is currently being deconstructed after being badly damaged in the attacks. Just the thought that these remains had been entombed in this building for four years broke my heart. Lord knows how many more will be found as they continue to work on the building.

I’d been working on a paper last night when I heard on the news that some 9/11 audio tapes were being released. As they began to play a portion of one of the tapes. I just had to leave the room, I just couldn’t hear it. I think I am having some type of delayed reaction thing when I heard about the remains being found I cried.

I resumed working on my paper today only to be stopped in my tracks when the evening news said that recordings of the of the emergency calls made by victims trapped in the twin towers on September 11 were released by city officials this morning. They then proceeded to play one of the recordings. Just like that no warning no "cover your ears girl Mia we're going to make you cry". I wasn't ready for it. Just like that the sound of the tapes filled the air making my living room seem so small.The dispatchers on the phone had no clue as to how serious the situation was, they were advising the callers to stay put that someone would call for them then at 9:59 the first tower collapsed.

I couldn’t listen to the tape anymore my eyes were stinging from the tears threatening to spill I left the living room and decided to check my email and there it was a letter from a Danish visitor to my blog. It seemed she had read my
Memories of 9/11 post and had been affected by it and wrote me a beautiful letter ending with "I still remember. I'll never forget." Thank you Kristine.

Labels:





Posted by @ 7:56 PM
7 comment from: Blogger Emory Mayne, Blogger Aisha, Blogger Mia, Blogger Just Jane, Blogger Mr. Khurram, Blogger Mia, Blogger sadiq,