Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

NEVER EVER judge a book by its’ security guard uniform



They say New York is full of 8 million stories most likely that number needs to be revised to reflect our last census count but since that’s the quote people are familiar with let’s stick to that. New York is full of 8 million stories; some mundane, some so complex they sound as if they were written by Hollywood. This is just one of those stories....

“Ben” has worked in my apartment complex as a security guard for the past 8 years. Everyone here adores him, he is such a gentleman. Some of our more snooty tenants also look down on him because he is just a security guard. As if that was something to be ashamed of. Whenever I see Ben I am either rushing out to school or work, so all we ever have time is for mini convos as I cross the lobby and he walks me to the main door.

Yesterday was different,we got into a deep conversation about my plans after graduation. I have been offered a chance to obtain my MA while in the Peace Corps. I’m kind of torn right now as to what I am going to do b/c they may not be offering my major. I figure I’ll decide after this semester is over. I was discussing this with Ben and he expressed his concern for my safety in Africa and told me I should at least have a basic knowledge of the language of where I am being sent to. He then offered to tutor me in languages. It seems that Ben holds a degree in languages and speaks 10 languages fluently. I had heard him speak Spanish here and there to a few of the tenants in passing but had no idea that he actually spoke it fluently. It seems I was about to discover a side of Mr. Ben couldn’t have imagined even in my wildest dreams….

Until the 1994 military coup he had been the secretary of transportation in his native Gambia. He was in the United States as a political refugee, because he had been to social security earlier in the morning he had all his paper work attesting to this with him and proudly showed it to me. He is also a part time translator for a big midtown law firm. It turns out that the security job is something he does as a favor to the owner of the building because he had helped him so much when he had to start over in this country.

So the lesson for today is one that bears repeating NEVER EVER judge a book by its’ security guard uniform. Yeah I'm talking to you Latonya and the lady that lives across the hall from her!

Labels:





Posted by @ 7:57 AM
4 comment from: Blogger Just Jane, Blogger sadiq, Blogger Emory Mayne, Blogger Laila K,