Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Blinded by The Whites...

Greetings from the Land of The Pharoahs! I`ve been in Egypt for the past several weeks and it`s everything I every envisoned and more. I`m not doing Egypt as a tourist does, sticking to all the `chi chi` spots. I`ve come out here with my "uncle" on his annual visit to his family so I haven`t been very touristy yet. I`ve learned a few things while on my visit so far.
(1) Bring toilet paper with you when you come out here. They charge you for it in the public rest rooms.
(2) Thanks to my complexion I blend in inconspicuously here.
(3) KFC here doesn`t make mashed potatoes, or biscuits and The Colonel`s secret recipie is still a secret out here, the chicken tasted like Old Bay Seasoning.
(4) Guard your food! I was eating at a restaurant in Cairo surrounded by cats when all of a sudden I see a paw gingerly feeling around my plate...a cat had hooked his claws into the chicken on my plate and ran off with it.. lol

Everywhere i`ve gone they`ve been amazed when I tell them I am Puerto Rican.. no one seems to have heard of Puerto Rico here so I tell them "it`s an island, a common wealth belonging to the USA, we speak spanish" "Oh you are Spanish!" sigh, "yes, I am Spanish"... " No, No, you not Spanish, you have Egyptian features, your skin, your nose, the big eyes" I get that alot especially on the eyes... who knew a `rican could have arab eyes? lol
I`ve heard it all my life from my Egyptian "family" in New York but to hear it here from the natives themselves it`s different.
I`ve got a lot to say.. but can`t possibly do it all today... Here`s the thing though there are just certain things a 22 year old woman should not be seeing and the top one the list is her middle-aged uncle in his tighty whities...
I was talking to my uncles` brother in his room making our plans for the day when in walks my uncle Hassan in his briefs...Man, oh man! I was blinded for at least 2 hours.. my uncle had no shame no running for cover, no twisting the body to the side in modesty.. he just stood there and wanted to have a conversation! Meanwhile I could feel the retnas burning and detaching itself from my eyes. The image of my uncle Hassan in his tighty whities forever burned, seared into my memory. I am scarred for life.. That night when I finally recovered my sight I spoke to my aunt Nora and told her what happened. "For the love of God Nora buy that man some boxers!! Grown ass men should not be wearing tighty whities!!" she told me to count my blessings that he wasn`t wearing his speedo briefs.. I`m pretty sure if I had seen that I would`ve gone permanently blind.

Labels:





Posted by @ 2:44 PM
1 comment from: Blogger DannieS72,