Mia: Shaken Not Stirred


The true life stories of a NYC female.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Book Crossing



I was riding the subway home a few nights ago when I spotted a book left on the seat next to me,Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier. Frazier by the way is the author of Cold Mountain (patoo, patoo) I only spit on the ground because it was made into a gut wrenching movie whose ending I hated. I wont spoil it for you just in case you’ve never seen/read it but suffice to say it ‘tis not Cinderella buddy.

After a few stops when it became evident that it didn’t belong to any of my fellow passengers I picked it up and ever so s-s-s-s-slowly opened the book ducking my head kind of low and squinting my eyes. I opened the book timidly half afraid that it would blow up in my hand or that it would reveal some vile and disgusting content. Instead I found a small business sized card (see below) and what it said made me smile, “I’m a very special book. You see, I’m traveling around the world making new friends, I hope I’ve met another friend in you...”

The smile remained on my face for the entire ride home. Maybe it was the idea that the book much like myself suffers from wander lust. When I got home I logged onto my laptop and per the label’s instruction paid Book Crossing a visit . I learned that the book had been released into the subway a few days earlier by 40 year old Brooklynite Josh Karpf a Random House editor. I told my mom the story of how I found the book but didn’t tell her about the label inside of the book. When she opened the book and saw the label she too smiled, “Awwww that is so sweet Mia you have to read the book and pass it on.” So that’s exactly what I am going to do. After moms and I finish reading it I’ll release the book out into the world. In the meantime check out the link to the site. I intend to release a few books out there; who knows maybe you guys will come across some of them and finding it will make you smile as well.


Click Here To Join Book Crossing




Posted by @ 3:14 AM
8 comment from: Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Louise, Blogger don_veto, Blogger Emory Mayne, Blogger DannieS72, Blogger Mia, Anonymous Anonymous, Blogger Mia,